Xantia variable intermittent wiper stalk

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gingerposer
My Cars:

Xantia variable intermittent wiper stalk

Post by Gingerposer »

Hi all, I just got a wiper stalk from an ebay seller, it's meant to have the variable intermittent function but as far as I can see it is exactly the same as the existing stalk in my xantia, which has no variable function.
Could someone please post a pic if they have the stalk with the variable switch so I can compare, before I contact the seller.

Cheers

Ainslie
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The variable stalk, applicable to the MK1 only, has a rotary knob knob just below the wiper switch knob on the end. In the same relative place as the foglight switch on the other stalk.

By the variable knob is a white painted expanding bar legend to show fast intermittent (broad end of the bar) tapering off to the point where the intermittent wipe is longest.

It is a direct fit and simply just fitting the stalk makes it work.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gingerposer
My Cars:

Post by Gingerposer »

Seems the seller didn't know what he was talking about then. Thanks for the quick reply.
If anyone has the appropriate stalk for sale, please let me know!

Ainslie 8-)
VertVega
My Cars:

Re: Xantia variable intermittent wiper stalk

Post by VertVega »

Gingerposer wrote:... Could someone please post a pic if they have the stalk with the variable switch so I can compare, before I contact the seller. ...
I have posted ---> MK2 wiper stalk pics here <--- Does it help?

PS: In case you intend to open the stalk, beware that there springs and 'bullets' in it which might pop around :wink:
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
Gingerposer
My Cars:

Post by Gingerposer »

VertVega, I am posting a couple of pics of the stalk I received, perhaps you can confirm that it does not have the variable intermittent, but is just a stalk with rear wash-wipe (same as the one I have).

I just fancied having the variable timing, the stalk I have in the car works perfectly but the intermittent is not variable, which is a pain sometimes.

Cheers

Ainslie
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

That looks like it could be an S2 auto wiper stalk which in a sense is variable.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

I have just noticed that the stalk functions are not seen in them, sorry.
Here's a pic with the functions, from mine.
Intermittent wipe works with the rain sensor (automatic). May be this is what are looking for?

-----------------------
I have seen now your pics. Exactly same as in mine.
---> Intermittent is not variable, but rain sensor guided.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
Gingerposer
My Cars:

Post by Gingerposer »

The problem would be then, that I don't have the rain sensor (as far as I know) on my xantia, so the stalk is of no real use to me :oops:
Should have done more homework before buying, ah well.
I thought there would be a knob of some kind to turn to adjust the timing of the intermittent wipe.

Anyone got a use for the stalk? :o Tenner including postage.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

service.citroen only lists 2 stalks for MK2s, with and without rain sensor, which suggests that variable delay a la MK1 is not available on Mk2s - you can only have the rain sensor. No idea if the wiring is there for the rain sensor, and you might need a Lexia session to enable the auto sensing. Not as easy as a MK1 then.... :(
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's an interesting point Richard. providing the intermittent wipe unit on a non-rain-sensing MK2 is the same as the MK1 unit then the functionality will be there. Basically, the unit uses a custom timer chip, the U642B, and the variable timer function can be gained by use of a pot to vary the interval between 4 and 20 seconds.

The same chip is used on the rear wiper and fundamentally, a pot could be added to vary this too...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

"The same chip is used on the rear wiper and fundamentally, a pot could be added to vary this too..."

Now that's interesting....I've always felt that the interval on the rear wiper on the estate is a bit short. Presumably it would be possible to just wire in a resistor to increase the delay? In normal running about 8s would be about right I guess.
Richard W
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

S2 SX cars and above had rain sensors, Forte, LX etc don't have them.

Though i would think it possible to fit a S1 wiper stalk with variable intermittent function to a S2 Xantia.

C5s rear wipers are clever, the faster you travel in the estate the shorter the wiper intermittent delay is, as more spray is picked up. However on the saloon the faster you go the longer the delay is, as less water is landing on the rear window.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote: I've always felt that the interval on the rear wiper on the estate is a bit short.
Richard, I could dig out the diagrams and see how feasible this is....
Jim

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

"Though i would think it possible to fit a S1 wiper stalk with variable intermittent function to a S2 Xantia. "

Maybe, but the Mk2 has the HRW switch on the end of the stalk, so you would need to wire the functionality in somewhere else....

"Richard, I could dig out the diagrams and see how feasible this is...."

Don't sweat over it Jim, I can live with it, now that the wiper runs at light speed after the overhaul! Boot liner is not properly sealed though.... :cry: I guess there must an extra wire on the font one that delivers a control voltage from the switch.
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Aha, I found the datasheet for the chip. The intermittent wipe is set by allowing a capacitor charge to leak to earth. By adding a variable resistance into this circuit you can alter the interval (more resistance = longer leak time = longer interval). So it ought to be possible put a pot in somewhere, it just depends on how the relay is wired internally / externally as to whether this requires opening up the relay box and soldering onto the PCB or if it can be done externally on the earth circuit. Need a 'spare' relay to play with. Anyone got one :?: :lol:
Richard W