Freeby kit

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Freeby kit

Post by Paul-R »

Not French related but worth a punt I think.

Every mainland UK household (NI's excluded) can grab a completely free LIME energy saving plug worth £20, a water widget and flush bag.

Just enter the code 'FLUSH' on https://www.freegreengadgets.co.uk/home ... shbag.html before Mon 6 Dec 2010. The kit'll be delivered within 28 days. There is no P&P to pay.

I've ordered mine!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Interesting.

I see the idea behind the energy saving plug and the flush bag (a brick does the same!) but the water widget beats me...

How does that work? Does it reduce your shower to a dribble?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

being a plumber i can tell you the widget is trouble waiting to happen, its just a flow restrictor, if you want to use less water hook the incoming main up to the mains electric that will keep the buggers away from the taps :lol:

If you must be sensible about this then close your stopcock down a little to restrict flow and lower the level in your toilet cistern by adjusting the float valve a bit, or dont wash at all :lol: sorry, im not a believer :roll:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Dean,

I thought it might have been some sort of restrictor. I agree, trouble!. Especially in our area where the water is so hard it picks a fight with you when you drink it...

Simple then, just don't turn the shower tap on so hard. Achieves the same thing.

I have an electric shower. Love 'em to bits. I've had them for years now and would never go back to one that runs from the domestic hot water system. No fiddling with temperature. Switch it on, hop in, job's a good 'un. No scalds when someone flushes the bog and no "Oww, that's bloody freezing!" when hot water is drawn from another tap...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I think some of these devices entrain air into the water flow, to give the impression of the same 'wetness' for a lower flowrate. However, the example shown looks a bit simpler than that!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

dnsey wrote:I think some of these devices entrain air into the water
Looks like, from the basic picture, that the device in question might add a bit of turbulence to the water flow. I guess this might do much the same as entraining air?
Jim

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

CitroJim wrote:Thanks Dean,

I thought it might have been some sort of restrictor. I agree, trouble!. Especially in our area where the water is so hard it picks a fight with you when you drink it...

Simple then, just don't turn the shower tap on so hard. Achieves the same thing.

I have an electric shower. Love 'em to bits. I've had them for years now and would never go back to one that runs from the domestic hot water system. No fiddling with temperature. Switch it on, hop in, job's a good 'un. No scalds when someone flushes the bog and no "Oww, that's bloody freezing!" when hot water is drawn from another tap...
What you need is a combi and thermostatic bar mixer or since i dont and have coal fired open vented hot water and heating, a digital shower unit, the 4Hp20 of the shower world :wink: bloody expensive but very good showers, one day i will be rich enough to be able to fit my own :lol:
http://www.aqualisa.co.uk/Our-products/ ... al-Works3/..................sorry im being boring again.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Bloody hell :shock:

That's one heck of a shower Dean :lol: You can even have a remote control for it...

My, the wonders of modern technology!

It's the C6 of the shower world...

Go on, how much for a DIY fit? I can plumb...
Jim

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

well for that one in the vid, with the remote, the pump and control unit and just a plain jane riser rail and head could be had for around £500 - £600 if you want to go all posh with body jets, the remote for the remote and hidden pipework you could be touching £800 + to have it in the box on your doorstep :shock: very easy to fit though, it really is made for the idiot installer, which is why i like em :wink: .

Its not bad really when you consider what a stand alone pumped electric mira unit is, and they are much more reliable than electric especialy if your in a hard water area.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I wish that I had known about them last year.
I wanted a power shower but they appear to be incompatible with combi boilers, so I fitted a rather posh Mira unit that I was really pleased with until I saw that Aqualisa video.

I have a similar water saver widget kicking around here somewhere that came through the post, anyone's guess where from. Stainless steel so it looks the part, might try it one day.

I have a friend that replaced his on-suite bathroom with an his 'n hers shower, all pink Italian marble with two seats facing on another :)
There was a Mr. Steam unit that kicked in first and gave a steam bath for ten minutes, then the water pumps fired up deluging the whole shower area with 32L/min from jets situated just about everywhere. You could drown in there!
The whole kit was £18,000 not including the four extra 500 gallon tanks that filled the attic. The glass shower door alone cost £1,000
This was about ten years ago.

At the time I could have bought my house for less than that :(
Last edited by myglaren on 27 Nov 2010, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Sorry :oops: pretend you havnt seen it, definatly dont try one :lol:
There are some cheap aerators Here these are just generic ones, you can get ones specificaly for your taps if they are branded, not free i admit but they do use less water without visualy giving less water, stops splash back to some extent too.

D
Last edited by Deanxm on 27 Nov 2010, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
XM Prestige PRV6 92

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

£500 is not bad at all for that :D

Considering a decent electric one is knocking on £200 and they don't last very long here due to terminal furring up of their heat exchangers, I reckon an Aqualisa will be a good buy...

One thing missing from that video...

A nice bit of hot totty demonstrating it in use...

:P
Jim

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I fitted an Aqualisa Quartz digital shower when I redid my bathroom a few years ago, a brilliant piece of kit and yes really easy to fit, IIRC I paid £400 for the unit, highly recommended and excellent for washing LHM from your hair :mrgreen:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Forget the bloody shower adapter, it's the power switch I'm interested in!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Paul-R wrote:Forget the bloody shower adapter, it's the power switch I'm interested in!
:lol: :lol: I bet you never thought when you started this thread that it would turn into a discussion about showers did you Paul :roll:

That's the FCF for you. Pull this sort of stunt on any other forum and it would end in a reprimand from a moderator or even a ban....
Jim