Xantia Blower Controller (quick question)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stunned Monkey

Xantia Blower Controller (quick question)

Post by Stunned Monkey »

Yep, mine has decided to run at full speed regardless off the settings. I've found the guide on replacing the transistors and have ordered them from Farnell but what isn't obvious (and to save myself rolling around in the footwell before I actually have to), where exactly is the control module? Attached to the motor?

Cheers!
Martin
-------
Old Faithful: Silver V-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, died due to tin worm @ 259k miles
New Faithful: Silver W-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, 169k miles and counting...
Previous: Various BX's, XM V6 24,
Venturi Atlantique 300, Alpine A610
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
Stunned Monkey

Post by Stunned Monkey »

I can't view the XM forum - any chance you could post it here please?
Martin
-------
Old Faithful: Silver V-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, died due to tin worm @ 259k miles
atr
My Cars: Xantia 2.0l 16v 2001 petrol
C5 mkII 2.0l petrol sx pack 2007
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Post by atr »

Afaik - the module is installed on the motor. you have to dimantle the motor (not a big deal) and then you will gain access to the module.
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

Heres the post in full:

Heres the pics from my disasembly, i replaced the transistors, I was going to do the brushes but mine still have a fair amount of life in them!

This is the removed motor obviously...
Where the cables go into the side of the plastic casing remove it (i did not realise that this could be done as shown in later pictures)

.Image

This on below shows on of the three holes where you will need to insert a flat head screw driver and gently prise up the rubber blocks (i found going round doing each one a bit at a time to be best.) whilst pulling up gently on the blades.

Below is the removed motor with blades attached and the attached wires i should have removed.

The next picture shows my seriously corroded heatsink with transistors attached. I contacted Sir Jim of the FCF who was able to supply replacement ones.

This board will need removing, mine was so corroded i had to drill the screws out, hopefully yours will not be this bad!
Now the fun bit, with a suitable sized drill bit remove the rivets holding the transistors in place, then turn the board over and using a soldering iron and solder sucker remove the solder holding the transistors in place and wiggle them free!

Then clean the area the that the transistor sat on and apply some heatsink paste to the new transistors (only a relatively thin layer) and place the transistors in position. This can be very fiddly and i had to use the soldering iron as well to clear the way through.
Then use two (M3.5 i think) bolts to secure each transistor, sadly i did not have the correct ones and had to improvise. Then solder them in position
Here is the picture of the new transistors in situ.

Then simply reassemble and hope it works...
There you have it, hope that helps and i hope your transistors do not need replacing

Thats the post, not sure if it will display properly.....
GPZ500s
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Looks excellent to me Dave :D

Just a note, often it's unnecessary to remove the motor complete. It'll flex in its housing just enough to allow the module to pop out after undoing it's mounting screws...

Very important to solder the transistors AFTER mounting them and tightening the screws otherwise strain can be out on the circuit board and it may not earth to the heatsink correctly...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

Quite right, the reason i removed the motor as well, was to check the condition of the brushes whilst I was at it!
GPZ500s
Stunned Monkey

Post by Stunned Monkey »

Guys, that's absolutely brilliant. Trannies are already on their way from Farnell.

THANKS!
Martin
-------
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Stunned Monkey wrote:Guys, that's absolutely brilliant. Trannies are already on their way from Farnell.

THANKS!
Be sure to order the right ones!

1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I once heard of a case on a vintage wireless forum I once frequented where a young lad couldn't access said forum because the parental controls set up on his firewall would not allow anything containing the word "tranny"..

Unfortunate as years ago the term "tranny radio" was in very common usage. Everyone had one.

The forum in question had to issue an edict that henceforth the word tranny could not be used as a diminutive of transistor.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

the word tranny could not be used as a diminutive of transistor
We trogs used it as a diminutive of transformer. :?
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Clogzz wrote: We trogs used it as a diminutive of transformer. :?
Yes, I'd forgotten that one! In the TV trade we used to speak of Line Output Trannies. Easier than trying to make a pronounceable word out of LOPT...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

We always called photographic transparencies Trannies too.
Was never really comfortable with it :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: Was never really comfortable with it :)
I can understand that Steve. "Come in and see the trannies I took on Holiday!" might well raise a few eyebrows...
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

No sense of adventure! :lol: