Activa Stalling !!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davygr22
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Activa Stalling !!

Post by davygr22 »

Hi all,
I have a little problem with my Activa - this is the one formerly owned by CitroJim & XantiaMan - I bought it with a LHM leaking hose which has now been cured by a new part & I've replaced most of the spheres plus fitted new front discs & pads.The issue relates to the engine stalling/stuttering at idle after it has reached proper operating temperature - the symptoms are as follows - whilst driving along under light throttle,the engine will stutter/misfire occasionally & then pickup with some hesitation - when slowing down to stop,the idle speed will flutter & drop quite low before often stalling.
There are no starting problems but if the engine is idling & you blip the throttle,it will stutter at idle & sometimes stall.(OK when cold)
I've replaced the sparkplugs & was wondering if the HT leads & coil pack could cause the symptoms or if there are any other temperature sensors etc in the system which are likely candidates for the problem?

Thanks!!
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

How much fuel is in it? It could be like a fuel delivery problem. The fuel filter was not long replaced though. As said the plugs were not old and even if they were, they would have to be pretty shot to cause a stalling problem. I would also look at the vacuum side of things, make sure the MAP sensor line isnt leaking, and all the pipes on the throttle body are not cracked and well sealed. Finally give the ECU a 1 hour reset, if the EML light still lights up on start up, its not running on optimum, it will revert to default and they dont run nice at all IMO.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Symptoms sound like a blocked or non-functioning idle valve. Its located in the throttle body and might need cleaning or replacing.

H
Quackers
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 Exclusive + Navi
2009 Citroen C6 2.7 V6 Exclusive + Lounge Pack
2007 Citroen C5 2.2 (173) Exclusive + Navi
2000 Citroen Xantia Activa

Post by Quackers »

The only time i have experienced that on any of the Activas i have had is when the fuel filter was clogged.
davygr22
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Activa Stalling !!

Post by davygr22 »

Thanks everyone,
Will check the vacuum/MAP piping - in relation to ECU reset,are we talking purely a one hour drive cycle or battery disconnect followed by a drive cycle?
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Re: Activa Stalling !!

Post by XantiaMan »

davygr22 wrote:Thanks everyone,
Will check the vacuum/MAP piping - in relation to ECU reset,are we talking purely a one hour drive cycle or battery disconnect followed by a drive cycle?
Disconnect for an hour then drive. I agree about the IACV being a potential too, start with a clean slate as it may resolve some issues.

Also worth mentioned the boost control taps into the MAP line for readings and parameters so check the t piece inside the ECU box, and make sure its all secure in there.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
VertVega
My Cars:

Re: Activa Stalling !!

Post by VertVega »

davygr22 wrote:... The issue relates to the engine stalling/stuttering at idle after it has reached proper operating temperature - the symptoms are as follows - whilst driving along under light throttle,the engine will stutter/misfire occasionally & then pickup with some hesitation - when slowing down to stop,the idle speed will flutter & drop quite low before often stalling...
I had same symptoms with mine and they were cured by MAP sensor replacement.
Engine K-light was not on and it took long to identify the problem.

This was exactly what happened --> "whilst driving along under light throttle,the engine will stutter/misfire occasionally & then pickup with some hesitation".
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
davygr22
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Activa Stalling !!

Post by davygr22 »

Thanks guys,
Just for info purposes,where is the MAP Sensor located -any idea of cost,is it a 'stealer 'only part?
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Look for a thin pipe coming out of the throttle body, it heads towards a black plastic box containing ECU's and so on near where you fill the windscreen washer fluid IIRC. At the end of this pipe is a sensor, the MAP sensor..!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The MAP sensor is INSIDE the ECU and soldered to the ECU circuit board. For all practical purposes, it's inaccessible.

You'll find a small translucent capsule in side the ECU enclosure between the pipe from the throttle body and the ECU. Check it for splits.

Also, there was an Info Rapide issued about the throttle body end of the MAP sensor pipe being crushed under the clip where the plastic pipe joins the rubber extension. Worth a check.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davygr22
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Activa Stalling !!

Post by davygr22 »

Hi Everyone,
The Activa flew through its MOT Test this morning with absolutely no issues !! I did the ECU reset as XantiaMan indicated & the EML lamp is now extinguished - still have the occasional stutter & some idle issues as I haven't had time to tackle the idle control valve - hope to have this out in the next few days for a clean/checkover.
Otherwise the car drives great - the Hybrid turbo pulls very well & the new spheres have left the ride comfort really good - ARCS system is working fine,fantastic no roll cornering is amazing.It got very dirty,as the roads are such a mess due to the weather - a good clean will happen when temperature rises a little!

Very,very pleased !!!!
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Pleased to hear its back on the road and being enjoyed.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent news Davy :D Good to know she's still good and still flying through MOT tests as she always did!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Were the front brake flexi hoses ever replaced because they were given an advisory when i last had it MOT'ed, worth doing.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

They were an advisory last time I had the car MOT'd :lol: :lol: :lol:

I even bought some, meaning to replace them and never did....
Jim