You'd think a tyre place would know better!!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

pug_owner2002
My Cars:

You'd think a tyre place would know better!!

Post by pug_owner2002 »

:rant2: You'd think I'd have learnt by now.
A few years back a tyre place I used wrecked my locking nut key by tightening up the locking nuts with the air wratchet.
Today I went back to the same place as it is now under different ownership/management. Wish I hadn't :hb:
They started to remove the first wheel and I could hear the air ratchet being worked more than I expected it to be. So went out to take peek, and yes you've guessed it! they'd wrecked the key and bolt. That one had to be thrashed undone by hamering a socket over it.
I got the others by gently easing them undone with the knackered key.
There explaination was that the nut was "too tight".
End result, I leave with new tyres and nearly £150 lighter and only 4 bolts on each wheel as opposed to 5.
Went straight to halfords and got another set for £29.99.
Very irritated, but hey theres another lesson learn't. Go somewhere else or take the wheels off at home and pop them down in the other car.
Bloody garages!!!
R Reg Phase 2 306 DTurbo (Blaze Yellow) (Sold)
X Reg Phase 3 306 1.4 LX (Sold)
03 Renault Scenic Dynamique +
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
52 Nissan Almera 1.8 sport+
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

I think that the garage should replace them, after all they broke 'em. I dare say they would point to some small print somewhere that would absolve them of all responsibility however this should have been brought to your attention before the work started.

Anyhoo, in future I would suggest cracking each locking nut and loosening them a touch before you go and also tell them before they start work. It may appear like 'egg sucking' but these days you just can't be too careful.

Gammy
2000 Synergie 1.9Td
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

I suggest going into their office each time you can, and 'let them have it' in front of whatever prospective clients might be there. It does no harm sometimes to throw a wobbly. Tell them you will NOT be p*ssed about and if they don't want you and a bunch of mates to walk around with placards etc. outside their place then PAY THE EFFIN £30 for new wheel nuts.
1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Diesel hatch, white, 92k
*SOLD* 1998 Citroen Xantia Ser.1 Turbo Diesel manual, Desire Limited Edition hatch, Mauritius Blue, 118k
2003 Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE Tourer auto, BRG, 135k
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

The place I've bought my tyres off for years put a youngster to take my wheels off a few years ago and managed to "whiz" one of my locking bolts almost into oblivion.

They tried to get a replacement set for me (of a better design they said) but the C5 ones are " special" of course and couldn't. They asked me to get a set from a main stealer and they then reimbursed me for the cost.

I still go back there for my tyres but I always take the locking bolts off myself.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I had a similar thing with a tyre place who did my wheel nuts up so tightly, I broke the locking key when trying to undo them later on. I found the normal wheelnuts torqued to over 200 ft lbs :evil: And on alloys as well. That was dangerously tight.

I went back to the place and spent an hour in front of the manager. I stated my findings, he tried to wriggle out of everything and I was having none of it. I simply stood in front of him staring at him until he caved in under the evidence placed before him. It took an hour but his chief mechanic was eventually called to extract the lockers. Ironically, said mechanic sought my advice on how best to remove them :lol:

Old ones removed and new ones fitted, I was sent on my way with the intimation I was most unwelcome to ever visit them again. No fear of that but I did get satisfaction, even though it took an hour to stare down the manager. Before he caved, it was necessary to appraise him of my engineering qualifications.

I now always do as you do Gammy, and just take wheels to my localest tyre place. They don't mind, saves them a job!

This kind of gross incompetence is totally unforgivable. It really is about time for this kind of shoddy work to be made a criminal offence with a hefty punishment.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

I must admit I'm a bit frustrated with myself as I normally argue until they give in.
But instead I hd a rant and left. I'll put this down to experience and go back to taking just the wheels down as I did in the past after the first locking key "experience".
I do think that this garage has got "training" issues though, as the guy admitted he'd had the same problem earlier in the day. :eek1:
R Reg Phase 2 306 DTurbo (Blaze Yellow) (Sold)
X Reg Phase 3 306 1.4 LX (Sold)
03 Renault Scenic Dynamique +
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
52 Nissan Almera 1.8 sport+
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

i had, lets just say a 'jacking incident' with the xm and two ATS "Technicians" i no longer use them and i only ever take my wheels in and not the car. Yes its sad but im very fussy about this sort of thing and it saves me getting annoyed by their stupidity.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Deanxm wrote:i had, lets just say a 'jacking incident' with the xm and two ATS "Technicians" i no longer use them and i only ever take my wheels in and not the car. Yes its sad but im very fussy about this sort of thing and it saves me getting annoyed by their stupidity.

D
I do that too, i usually always take the wheels off and take them in without the car. Its easier and less risk of damage. Too many places stick a jack anywhere.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

indeed, after attempting to jack the XM somewhere soft and delicate i was tempted to attempt inserting said jack somewhere soft and delicate myself :twisted:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yes, ive had similar experiences.

We took a friends Bentley Turbo for a pair of tyres a few years back. The tyre place rang us up later to ask if we would check under the car as the top of their jack had gone. There it was, wedged in the floor :?
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

:evil: yep, using that well known jacking point again eh, the floor pan :idea:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

It is shocking, but most tyre places and garages do this. They are paranoid about a wheel falling off, but they fail to realise that an over tightened bolt is dangerous as it's more prone to fracturing.

My local independant place is actually very good. I was watching them change one of my wheels, and was gobsmacked when the chap brought out a proper torque wrench, and then consulted a chart for the correct setting for my car. 85lb/ft he said when I queried.....exactly the Peugeot spec :) I do try to buy tyres from there even if they are a bit more expensive than the big names, as I think that sort of service should be encouraged.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

The place I usually go to buy tyres are very good actually, they put the car on a 4 post jack with its feet located in the right place and call you over to mention any marks on the wheels.

They also tell you if the brakes a re getting low or if they spot any other fauts while the car is up in the air. They then tighten the bolts with a torque wrench.

They also stock most tyres so they always have what i want in, and there is a very smart waiting area.

The only thing i can fault them for is the time it takes them to do it and I usually have to go back for a wheel balance.

Its the smaller tyre fitters i find damage the cars, which is why, if i get a puncture or im using a more local place than the above for tyres, i always take the wheels in without the car.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

My local place employs some dubious people. I watch everthing they do and correct mistakes, ie trying to use knakered jacking points!

Best one was when i had to remove my own spare wheel as the tyre fitter couldnt do it, as it wedged sightly against the tow bar. Not so good was that i trusted him to re attach it. Luckily when I heard a bang and saw it rolling down hill behind me it was early in the morning so no one was hurt.
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Jim i thought there was a law bought in a good few years back, regarding wheel nuts being ZAPED up with hammer guns,

they are allowed to spin the nuts/bolts in with an air gun, but then they are ment to BACK EACH ONE OFF then torque them up to the specified setting,

i have seen several garages WANG them up with the air gun then click the torque wrench off at what ever the air gun had done them, this is obviously not good as they could be way over the specified torque,

regards malcolm