406 running too hot

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jmason
My Cars:

406 running too hot

Post by jmason »

Hi there
I have a 98R 406 Exec Estate that has started running too hot (100-110 degc). Previously, it rarely ever went above 90.
Peugeot (I couldn;t find anyone else!) have just done a 72k service and replaced the water temp sensor and temp gauge sensor which mean that the fans operate (altough I need to check that the nearside one is working as it was not before). They also drained and refilled the coolant.
However it is still running much hotter than before. This morning is was showing 16 deg outside, the aircon was set to 21.5 deg and after 30mins in busy traffic, the temp was at 100.
I also noticed that a) the fans seem to go on and off, rather than staying on until temp < x deg and also, the fans didn't stay on when i switched the engine off, despite temp being 100.
Any ideas much appreciated..
John
krsan
My Cars:

Post by krsan »

similar problem happened to my car also, i found out that my thermostat is need replace.. you should get your thermostat check.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

I presume you've checked the coolant levels, and bled the system - low levels can lead to no coolant in the head, and it therefore gets very warm, and you're at risk of a gasket failure and warping.
I have found with experience that low coolant levels / air pockets show up as the temperature gague rises quickly on even a slight incline / load , but returns to normal very quickly on the level.
jmason
My Cars:

Post by jmason »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mbunting</i>

I presume you've checked the coolant levels, and bled the system - low levels can lead to no coolant in the head, and it therefore gets very warm, and you're at risk of a gasket failure and warping.
I have found with experience that low coolant levels / air pockets show up as the temperature gague rises quickly on even a slight incline / load , but returns to normal very quickly on the level.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
coolant was replaced at 72k service and peugeot bled the system. I am not aware of temp fluctuations on inclines but on my driving around london and over to bristol and back, i don't really see any hills. whilst blasting up and down the motorway, the temp is a steady ~88deg - which i would say is 10deg hotter than normal. I think the rad may be blocked. and the nearside fan still doesn't work, nor do the fans continue to operate after the ignition is swicthed off.
I hope I can get through this without warping the block. I only finished paying the HP on the car 2 months ago ... :-(
krsan: The thermostat was replaced last week but didn't make any difference - so i'm going to have to "discuss" this with the garage tomorrow, when it goes back in again.
I will let you know what the outcome is in case the info proves be be of use to other in the future.
thanks for your feedback guys.
jmason
My Cars:

Post by jmason »

it was the fan motor and relay (apparently).