Saxo steering column

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Patt
My Cars:

Saxo steering column

Post by Patt »

Hi, is the steering column the same on the early 1999 models for cars with and without power steering? I was wondering about the extra length of the pinion shaft on the p/s model, but does the telescopic feature in the column cope with either?
Thanks,
Patt.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I 'think' they are different, certainly the lower part (if its a two part one)

I don't have my tech data to hand otherwise I could give you a 100% accurate answer.

I do say I think they are different as on a 205 (I know its not the same) the lower column is different for models with / without PAS as I looked into it quite extensively.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Patt
My Cars:

Saxo steering column

Post by Patt »

Cheers Andy. Can't say if it 2 part or not. It seems to have a telescopic sleeve with 2 universal joints further down.
Patt/
spider

Post by spider »

The lower part will be different then, I can say about 90% sure.

I would be 100% but I don't have my tech data (Pug tech data) but it will match up 106 / Saxo , as I'm slowly recovering from a nasty pc crash last week so don't have that data accessible at the moment.

Someone should be able to look it up for you though, but I'm about 90% sure its different. Ideally you want the complete column to match whatever you have (or plan fitting) :)

Extra note: The wiring (engine / main power loom) is different for models with PAS, if that matters (depends if you were thinking of adding it I guess, you did not say)
Andy.

imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

Hi
I used to work on alot of saxo/106s i remember they suffered the top bearing failure, i have mixed the 2 different coloums,as it pulls apart, but i think you are better off finding the right coloum.
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
spider

Post by spider »

imperial21 wrote:Hi
I used to work on alot of saxo/106s i remember they suffered the top bearing failure, i have mixed the 2 different coloums,as it pulls apart, but i think you are better off finding the right coloum.
I'd agree.

After thinking again , its (probably) only the lower half that's likely to be different though. But it would be best to get the complete correct one obviously as safety is a high concern with steering.
Andy.

Patt
My Cars:

Saxo steering column

Post by Patt »

Hi again, yes, it looks like there's 2 different parts here. Better get the right one and be sure. Thanks.
Patt.