Xantia suspension.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sihowat
My Cars:

Xantia suspension.

Post by sihowat »

Hi

Right, need a quick explanation as to how the suspension works. I wasunder the impression the engine had to run to work suspension.

My car hasn't ran in 4 weeks, but came off recovery motor with suspension as high as it will go, even though it was down last time I saw it.
Gingerposer
My Cars:

Post by Gingerposer »

You are right, the engine has to run to power the hydraulic pump. Is it possible the recovery driver got the car started and set it to high mode in order to get it on the truck?
sihowat
My Cars:

Post by sihowat »

I don't think so as I was made to believe that the car would not start, the suspension control is set at highest setting. I need jump leads as battery is flat. The guy that tried fixing car for me couldn't get it started, that's why I paid recovery guy to bring it home for me.

Really confused now!
kevlights
My Cars:

suspension up,and engine off?

Post by kevlights »

mine was the same, but in our case i saw the recovery take place,he placed a large plank under the car under the sump and jammed his trolley jack under the other end and slowly raised the car and towed it onto the trailer,i was surprised that it stayed up for the trip home,3 three and half hours at least.

You can get the same effect by slipping off the accessory belt and running a short belt,with a pulley in the end of a decent cordless drill,
And running the LHM hydrolic pump, without the motor going.

He told me that he had wound other Citroens over on the starter motor, and raised them up with booster cables to his truck.

I found the adjuster bars under the car had popped off there ball connectors,probable from being over stressed from the car having be raised too high.

have a look here, he has the same effect from stuck height selectors,make sure you use axle stands when working under these cars if you fiddle or snag a height adjuster while working under the the car,it will squash you flat.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=33286
Last edited by kevlights on 20 Nov 2010, 08:56, edited 1 time in total.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Depends what model.

To my considerable surprise, my spare car (a VSX estate with a dead engine), happily rose from Normal to High after sitting for many weeks and being trailered 150 miles. There was obviously enough pressure left in the accumulators to do this (and the system must be in good shape too).

My SX estate, with hydraulic system also in good shape, won't play this trick (I tried, just out of interest) - its engine must be running.

No doubt an Activa expert will be along soon to explain :)
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
kevlights
My Cars:

stuck height adjusters

Post by kevlights »

http://www.attfield.dircon.co.uk/Hydrau ... Xantia.pdf

this gives some info on the spheres
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

Yes, but only for the bog-standard suspension as I don't (yet) understand Activa etc.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

For a great explanation of Citroen suspension, including Activa and Hydractive, there is no better than the Citroen Technical Guide.

It is more than just the suspension and even has an RP number to build date table :lol:

Download it, print it and pop the pages into a ring binder as you'll refer to it again and again.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

In my experience its down to the condition of the hydraulic system, no two of my XMs have exhibited the same pattern in staying up/dropping, some would stay up for several days although maybe only at one end, if your suspension cylinders and height corrector valves are in perfect condition you will loose little or no pressure, if worn will drop quickly, the condition of the brake valve also affects the rear as it is fed from the suspension.

I have one which takes a minute or two to rise at the back and drops almost immediatly you turn the ignition off, been doing that for 50k or more, I'm pretty certain the rear height corrector is the problem, I will get round to doing it one day :oops:

Peter