Is my engine getting too hot and about to die?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ihatecars
My Cars:

Is my engine getting too hot and about to die?

Post by ihatecars »

My 1.8i 8v petrol Xantia has now done 120k miles, I'm getting concerned as the engine temp seems to be slowly on the increase. The temp gauge now shows just over halfway which looks like 85 deg C (80 deg C being the marker at 9 o'clock position). The engine runs between the 85 and 90 deg. markers.
I'm sure it ran just under the 80 deg. mark. The engine runs fine but worry the temp will continue to rise.

An overheating engine at this milage used to be caused by a leaking (blowing) head gasket - is this the most likely cause now? What symptoms can I look for? The coolant seems OK, its about 3" from the top of the rad tank and has been for weeks.

Any thoughts?
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Could be signs of early water pump failure amongst a few other things.

Other possibilities include blocked (partially) hoses or radiator.

You are correct it should sit at 80 normally. Radiator fans operate at around 90.

Is the coolant reasonable ? , I'd be half tempted to give it new coolant or at a minimum rebleed it incase its started to pick up an air lock.

It may just be something like your thermostat getting lazy and not opening early enough or not opening enough though.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Before panicking check the thermostat, they are a service item and I replace mine every 2 years faulty or not, I'd rather that than a problem with it ! Also, the temperature sensor could be faulty and giving a false reading, had this a number of times on Xantia's including my current HDI.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
mongoose100
My Cars:

Post by mongoose100 »

My 2l 8v runs betwen 80 & 90 all day, every day, some mornings the thermostat gets lazy and lets it climb toward 100 before opening... Fans kick in at 96 in mine
Regan.

2001 Citroën C5 V6
1994 Citroën Xantia 1.9TD
mendedit
My Cars:

Post by mendedit »

Between 85-90 is correct for a 1.8 8v. petrol,
later ones '97 onwards around 80.

If it was running 'cool' before, the thermostat may have been sticking open, you would loose some of heating inside car too!

Best leave alone unless thermo. goes kaput as a new one will cost into the twentys of pounds. :roll:
The world is full of them and a lot are in
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The only reason a leaky head gasket causes overheating is because it blows the water out, if it is you should find signs of it around the header tank overflow and filler cap, if you are not having to top the water up the chances are its OK.

Could be any of the other reasons suggested, it could be that the radiator needs replacing, you would notice overheating at speed with your foot down hard - if it doesn't - it isn't.

Peter
ihatecars
My Cars:

Post by ihatecars »

Thanks a lot for the very helpful suggestions and advice. Lots for me to check and confirm. Many thanks Peter.N. that was the analysis I needed, I was dreading a headgasket failure but not sure of what to look for externally.