here's a good one

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

here's a good one

Post by Deanxm »

Why do you think Citroen could not do the tracking on this car?
CIMG2287 by Deanxm, on Flickr

well i thought they were going to say there was something wrong with the rack i built or that the front of the car was hanging off or any number of things but i was told on the phone its because of my wheels :?, it took them from 8am untill 2pm to come up with this excuse, the real reason they could not do it, i found out later was because the bem muller allignment tools have to touch the wheels (not surprised? no me neither :roll:) and because they touch the wheels it could scratch the stainless steel rims, and then i would be within my rights to claim a new wheel as an Impreza driver did this year which cost them £800!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
I pointed out that not being a grade A idiot that maybe if this were to happen i could just maybe polish the stainless back up again, if i even cared at all! but no, they refuse to do it whether i cared or not and apologised .
Whats the world coming to when a garage is petrified of actualy using a tool on a car :evil: .

Obviously im not leaving it with quack fit or the likes so on central Citroen's recomendation i phoned Mazda to get it done, they will do it but they want to inspect the wheels with me first and have me sign a disclaimer before they start work :lolhit:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

The pins (for want of a better word) do have to touch the rims (usually centre at the very top and left / right near the lower edge)

Having said that, my set had caps on (just rubber caps) to prevent any risk of scratches...

My set would only fit 16" max though, had to turn away people with 17 or where it was so low (wing to wheel clearance) it would not fit as part of the unit needs to sit on the tyre too at the top.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

My Rims are 17's but overall wheel diameter is the same as standard, When i went to collect the keys they confssed the above, real shame businesses have to operate like this, i thought it was bad in my line of work but the garages must be getting hit, mind you if your only charging £40 for a wheel alignment and then you get taken for £800 for scratching someones wheel thats a bloody lot of allignments need to be done to get your money back! and lets face it the scratching (if it happens at all) isnt going to be noticable, you would have to be pretty anal to make them buy a new rim tbh, especialy when its just a case of polishing it back up in my case anyway.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

only charging £40 for a wheel alignment
!!!!!!!!!!!!

My local tyre man did the tracking on my XM for a fiver. They were trying to get me to go for their super duper new fancy tracking machine option, but it was 4 times the price of the el-cheapo option.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

ah yes your right, its about £15 for the tracking, the trouble is you have to let some idiot from kwick fit or the like loose on your car for that which i vowed i would never do after a jacking incident.
most of the dealers only do the full 4 wheel alignment with toe, camber and caster readings for all wheels, not much point as the xm deosnt have the ability to change anything but toe and on the front wheels only but thats all you get.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

anyway, a bloody fiver!!!! you need to loosen the purse strings a little Robert, do you keep your local tyre man in a cage under the stairs, surely he cant afford to live anywhere else on what you pay him :lol: :lol: 5 bloody quid, pah

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

I've been having real trouble getting anywhere that can do alignment properly. Last couple of times I've come out the steering wheel is off centre, which drives me nuts. It's just sloppy work and lack of attention to detail, which sums up most garages really :?
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

evilally wrote:It's just sloppy work and lack of attention to detail, which sums up most garages really :?
Sums up an awful lot of work carried out by so-called professionals these days :evil: And no pun intended on awful either. A lot of what I have seen is.

I wonder if it would not be a good idea to invest in your own kit, something like a Gunson Trackrite perhaps?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

yes not having the steering wheel straight is the most annoying thing, i have ligned it up so the steering gear is centerd and the wheel is central but she is toeing out by a fair bit.
That gunsons one looks like the business, would be real handy to have about.....

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I agree with Jim - do it yourself.
I use an adjustable tent pole, but a clothes prop or anything similar which can be adjusted in length and locked will do.
There's a lot of mystique put on tracking adjustment, but in the end it's simply a case of comparing the distance between the front of the rims with that at the rear.
As the C5's specified toe is 0-3mm, I simply ensure that there's just discernable 'rattle' on my pole between front inner rims, when it's a tight fit at the back.
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

We do the tracking ourselves with a tool we made up, accurate to about 1mm. Certainly an incentive to check it more often :)
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
spider

Post by spider »

Deanxm wrote:...if your only charging £40 for a wheel alignment...
:o How much ?? :o

I used to check them for free and charge £15 to £20 to adjust if needed, and that was a main dealer. ;)
Andy.

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

you need to open a garage over here then!!!!! :D
All done and it now drives a million times better, its been a very long time since its been riding correctly and had the steering gear in a1 condition too.
even with low profile tyres she is steady as a rock on any surface, brilliant, i forgot how nice this car was!.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

spider

Post by spider »

Good to hear all sorted for you now 8-)
Andy.

robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

do you keep your local tyre man in a cage under the stairs, surely he cant afford to live anywhere else on what you pay him Laughing Laughing 5 bloody quid, pah
The tyre man doesn't even get to sell me new tyres. I buy them off e-bay for a fraction of what he wants them for. I bought some brand new Michelin energy savers 205 65 15 for £45 each, delivered! The tyre man can't compete with that!

Jim's Gunson thing looks handy, but the tyre man can track alot of cars for £75!! :-D
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive