ZX Plip

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RobinMasters

ZX Plip

Post by RobinMasters »

I have a ZX which has an aftermarket (Sigma) alarm fitted. One of the remotes has a nearly dead battery.

The remotes are glued shut, so if the battery dies Sigma say you need a new one. A new remote costs £45, plus whatever it costs to program it (another £10-£20 I would imagine). I can't find any information about whether or not it is possible to change the batteries, and haven't yet had a go at opening the dead remote up.

In view of the cost, ideally I'd like to go back to using the plips. Unfortunately, the alarm was fitted a few owners ago and the plips are long gone. I understand there are two sorts, the older BX-type, which you have to get as a matched set with the plips, or the newer type which has programmable plips.

How can I tell what type of receiver I have?
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

It goes on the receiver really.

The older huge plips and some of the later ones are locked, you have to get them as a matched set.

106's / 205's / 405's have these (you can use either the key with the plip or the huge plip but its locked, you order plip to receiver) , as an extra note, all of these regardless of age (assuming infra red) are not recodeable.

306's are programmable. The unit is fitted under the drivers seat (I know your's is a ZX but hopefully its the same)

If it is you should be able to get any ZX / 306 plip and code it in.

I would visit a scrapyard and obtain a 306 or ZX plip as cheaply as possible. Then attempt to code it to your car. This way you will not have lost any money really if it does not work. P/Owners may have removed said module etc.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
RobinMasters

Post by RobinMasters »

Yes, I realise there are programmable and not programmable plips.

I don't know which type of receiver I have in the car. I have no plips. Are you saying I should buy a programmable plip, and try to program it? Isn't there any way of telling from the receiver or the control unit by the handbrake?
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I'm not sure.

The 'fixed' ones usually have a sticker / number on them (in the roof receiver) if that's any help.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG