Swarf and things!!!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chris56000
My Cars:

Swarf and things!!!

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

I've heard about the horrendously expensive failure that can occur in the fuel injection of HDi engines due to swarf deposits etc., can anyone give me a concise list of where to check for this problem please?

Is it worth getting a new lift-pump/tank unit assembly (£75 or so fleabay, haven't checked on GSF yet!!!) as well as a new fuel filter, and if so, is a special tool needed to remove and refit it?

I believe the failure first shows up as intermittent, then total complete failure to start!!!

Any handy links or posts from anyone who's come across this nasty snag much appreciated - the search doesn't give me much joy!!!

Chris Williams
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If you look in the diesel filter housing and find any swarf there then you have reason to be concerned about the lift pump.

If there is any then you will need to remove the filter body and thoroughly clean it before replacement and fit a new filter.

It is usually in the form of very fine particles, not always easy to see.
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I've seen postings claiming that the problem is that the filter housing can't handle the pressure from the lift pump, distorts and allows unfiltered fuel to bypass it. So if the lift pump is disintegrating the metal particles reach the injection pump and injectors causing damage. If this really is so then a high quality filter fitted before the injection pump should stop damage to the most expensive parts of the system. VAG filters looked likely candidates when I was thinking along these lines.

Steve.
not applicable
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

The problem (was) initially (on some at least) caused by a bearing breaking up in the high pressure pump. This led to said swarf reaching injectors and then returning to the pump and filter, hence you see swarf in the filter.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG