C5 Estate Tyre "scrubbing" when on full lock.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gazellef61

C5 Estate Tyre "scrubbing" when on full lock.

Post by gazellef61 »

Hi all, I have only just bought a 2003 C5 Estate and I am slowly checking it over ready for an MOT, but.... I have noticed that if I put the car on full lock (either left or right) I get a 'bumping' noise, when I get the wife to drive it I can see the tyre jumping, as if the tyre is trying to leave the rim. anyone got any ideas please.....
p.s. it is almost as if there is too much steering lock.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Welcome to our troubles, Gazelle ! :twisted:

That’s a consequence of the C5’s shocking front strut suspension.
My tyres are 195x65x15 and they also do it.
Yesterday, in a covered parking with painted concrete floor, I thought that I heard the ratbags doing acrobatics, while in fact it was my C5 slowly turning a corner near full lock.
If the steering shudders with the noise, the LDS level is a bit low.
Otherwise, that’s part of C5 ownership. :evil:
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yes, they do scrub tyres on full lock, the front tyres tuck under as you go forward, which usually rises the front of the car.

Though if you say your tyres are jumping, you might have a problem. How are the tyres wearing? Usually C5s wear off the outer edges before anything else, but if its very noticeable id get the tracking checked. More toe in will make it scrub more on full lock.

When i pull into tescos on a warm day i also get tyre squealing, as full lock is required. Any shiny surfaces do it.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
gazellef61

Post by gazellef61 »

Hi Clogzz & Citroenmad, Many thanks for your replies, you have eased my mind considerably, the steering does'nt shudder when this happens and the tyres are worn pretty flat, i.e. no shouldering BUT they are both worn down to wear limits and are being replaced. As to the LDS level how do I go about checking this, car raised - lowered - normal - engine running or stopped??, I need to check it as I see that the rear N/S gaiter is quite wet, is this the sphere or is there another likely cause? again thanks for your help, regards Paul
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Some tyres have softer sidewalls than others, which will make them appear to scrub more, as will under inflation.

If you remove the plastic cover over the LDS tank and check that the level is around the top of the reservoir, above the join. Its not easy to see if its at the right level, as there is no max or min on the reservoir for some reason.

I think ive checked the level of mine once, probably should check it more often really, but there is no leak.

The leak is possibly the seal on the suspension arm and not the sphere. Its reasonably common but not a expensive job to have done. The seal kit can be bought cheaply from the dealers.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Hi Paul,

The LDS level at normal suspension height can be checked on the quick by rocking the car sideways from in front, and looking at the side of the LDS tank, where you should see the fluid slosh around just above the tank seam.
I do that check after parking at home, and the level doesn’t visibly rise overnight.
If there’s too much fluid, it will spill through the cap vent at low suspension setting.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
gazellef61

Post by gazellef61 »

Hi, Thanks again for your help and advice, I have had the car on ramps and cleaned off the rear suspension units and it appears that there is a hole/split in the N/S gaitor but no visible sign of a leak on the O/S,yet they were both wet, I have ordered up the seals and new gaitors, just hope the promised snow does'nt come!. I checked the LDS and it was just about o.k. level wise so although the units were wet it does'nt seem to be leaking much, again thanks for your help, regards Paul