Dropped a socket

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tobsta
My Cars:

Dropped a socket

Post by tobsta »

I was finding it difficult to start my 405 td in recent cold mornings so i decided to replace my glow plugs. I've never done glow plugs before but i assumed they were as easy as spark plugs.
To be honest it was quite an easy job, as i was doing up the last plug i dropped the socket and for the life of me i couldn't see where it landed. i looked everywhere for it but no joy.
So...(I cant stop kicking myself for doing this) i decided to start the car and hopfully the socket will vibrate out.

There was a clunk clunk clang so i turned it off quick. Too late the gearbox oil was bleeding out of every hole. :cry:

After many hours of crying, sobbing and pretty much pulling my hair out i've come to the conclusion that im going to have to take the gearbox off to see the damage.
Thats where i found this forum and its been very helpfull indeed. i followed evilally's gearbox removal post. wow where would i be without that. So im pretty much ready to take out the box. just need to jack up engine and box and undo the nuts and mount which i will do tomorrow.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Usually they fall behind the injection pump bracket (you would be surprised how much space there really is near that and the alternator)

If its got a gearbox leak it must of fallen into the bellhousing (how though unless a cap is missing I am not sure)

EDIT... Your first post so 'Welcome' :) , shame it is under such a potentially unpleasant issue though. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
tobsta
My Cars:

Post by tobsta »

There are a few square holes all around the bell housing and i found 1 with a cap on it. So yeah thats where it went. On a positive note i found the socket swimming in a puddle of oil on the floor so it came out and now i have a complete set again! :x
spider

Post by spider »

Until the gearbox is out its difficult to say.

You will probably have cracked the casing though, so a replacement will be in order I would guess.

But lets not worry about that until its out for a look.
Andy.

tobsta
My Cars:

Post by tobsta »

I'll hopefully have the box out tomorrow so i'll take a pic to show you.
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Oh dear, that's terrible luck :(

Where are you?
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Ouch, doesnt sound too good. Done something bad like that in the past, I fitted a fuel pump on my Mini A Series, turned the engine over and crack, the arm on the pump broke off and dropped into the sump... and the gearbox of course! Much swearing, and i took the end casing off the gearbox and reached in with a magnet and found the broken bit - Very lucky!
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tobsta
My Cars:

Post by tobsta »

im not the only one then.

just like to say thanks evilally for posting your gearbox removal post. It was so helpful. I've been doing it all in stages pretty much the same as yours. That o/s drive shaft was a bugger getting out.

Im in hailsham which is near Eastbourne.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

You are not alone.... :lol:

I was changing the glow plugs on a BX TD and stuffed a piece of kitchen roll in the inlet manifold to stop anything falling in. Having changed the plugs I decided to see if it would start - before I refitted the intercooler. Forgetting about the kitchen roll :oops: It didn't want to start, but then I wasn't sure that the glowplugs were the fault - it was only about 2 hours later that I got that sinking feeling when I remembered the kitchen roll.... Got it back together and it took a lot of cranking to get it start - when it did there was a huuuuge cloud of unburnt diesel, with bits of (very black!) ktichen roll fluttering in it! V pleased I didn't have to take the head off - that happened a couple of years later :roll:

Glowplugs didn't cure the fault either - turned out to be air leak at the fuel filter due to 2 seals fitted!

When I changed the alternator recently on my Xantia HDi and left it with no oil in for a few days I had a big sign on the dash saying NO OIL to remind me :lol:
Richard W
messerschmitt owner
My Cars:

Post by messerschmitt owner »

I dropped a bolt down the bell housing when changing the starter on my first xm

couldn't recover it - car was worth about £200 - it went to scrap a week afterwards!
Image My XMs
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

I would have offered to pop over in the off chance you were nearby, but you're not. Sounds like you're a good part of the way there anyway.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome tobsta

i had this happen on my XANT i droped a short 8mm allan bit and spent hours looking for it,

i found it after i had given up looking and desided to start the engine, there was some oribl noise's, so i shut it off quick,

the find a very strong smell of gear oil and a puddle of the floor,

droped the box down to find it had cut a slot about 1/4" or so wide by 4ish inch's long,

i cleaned it up and repaired it with quick steel chemical metal, that was two or three years back and still fine,

by the by my work shop is in St Leonards on sea

regards malcolm
tobsta
My Cars:

Post by tobsta »

Ok gearbox is out with the help from a jack and some rope.

Here is the damage.
http://picasaweb.google.com/tobstacoope ... 0291555570
Close up.
http://picasaweb.google.com/tobstacoope ... 9205112514
After a good clean up.
http://picasaweb.google.com/tobstacoope ... 7137460706

So what are my options guys??
spider

Post by spider »

Replacement gearbox is the only sensible action. I doubt you will be able to fill that kind of damage in.

What state is the clutch in ? as the socket was thrown around by that.

I have seen similar damage when a diff exploded once.
Andy.

tobsta
My Cars:

Post by tobsta »

There's a couple of scratches on the clutch but there's no real damage.