S1 1.9TD Bosch Fuel Pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

S1 1.9TD Bosch Fuel Pump

Post by Old-Guy »

One for injector pump experts please.

Basic problem is fuel draining back into the tank from the engine. Aggravated by the car living on a sloping drive facing up-hill and often not used for days on end. This has gradually got worse in the 3½ years I've had the car.

Symptoms. More churning than should be necessary is needed when the car has been left (hot or cold). Does start instantly (hot or cold) if stalled or only left off for a few minutes. If fuel is pumped up manually, starts immediately even when left for some days. When pumping manually, I can feel when all the air has been expelled, but I can still squeeze fuel through. Even after I've got the fuel system well pressurised manually, I can't see a fuel leak anywhere.

The fuel filter element and seal has been replaced several times (services) and the housing cover has also been replaced (I snapped the outlet pipe off!).

The remaining leak-off pipes look good (I've replaced the more accessible ones including the blind end) as I had the kit. The two awkward ones look in good nick and show no signs of leaking.

Short of a complete pump rebuild with all new seals, are there any favourite places to look?
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Inspect joins anywhere in fuel system (feed really mainly) , it could be anywhere that is taking air in.

Be aware it will probably not leak fuel out unless it is bad.

As a temporary 'fix' , consider this: obtain a non return valve or two and fit one just before the fuel filter and one just before the pump. I have done this to my 205 while attending to other issues and it fixed it, although I did change the main fuel pipes a while after that anyway.

You can get them from ebay, I do not think they were more than about £5 each.

The reason for two is the one before the filer will stop anything draining back towards the tank and the one just before the pump will ensure that anything cannot drain back out of the pump.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Many years ago, articles in the Diesel Car magasin recommended smearing grease over the joints in the feed lines, to locate the culprit, though I never tried this myself.

As well as checking the joints, it may be worth a close visual inspection, to check for old rubber perishing, including the squeeze bulb (which I assume you have) in the feed line. At least you know what the problem is, and know how to get round the problem to get the engine started :)
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
spider

Post by spider »

Grease does work yes, usually :)

The favourite is the primer bulb in most cases. I ended up (having a different layout) wrapping my filter assembly in a couple of tightly cable tied plastic bags, which improved the situation so I knew the filter head was the main problem in my case (but not your's as you will not have that type of housing) , still the grease principle applies.

The other one is the lines where they join the pipes under the car (either front or back) or less common at the fuel tank pickup point.
Andy.

stevemc
My Cars:

Post by stevemc »

have you checked the fuel tank vent ,if thats blocked it causes the fuel to be sucked back into the tank
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Fuel Return pipe or feed pipe down the back of the engine were it Curves!

Constant engine movment can cause these to split and let air in to drain..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Leakage at the injector leak off pipes can also cause this problem. If you park your car facing down the slope you will probably see fuel leaking out.

Peter
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

I had this problem last week, sorted by fitting a new priming bulb and the fuel line between the primer and the fuel filter housing.
spider

Post by spider »

stevemc wrote:have you checked the fuel tank vent ,if thats blocked it causes the fuel to be sucked back into the tank
I have heard of cases of the pump actually imploding (ie: sucking in) a plastic tank a bit due to pressure, although I've never seen this happen. Not sure what PSA vehicle though.
Andy.

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I forgot to say that a couple of months ago, an additional non-return valve was fitted in place of the standard plastic joiner between bulb and filter.

As even extended pressurising with the bulb won't persuade fuel to weep out anywhere (upstream of the injector pump), I guess it has to be air getting in from the leak-off pipes that allows the pump to drain down.

The weather forecast promises heavy rain tonight so I'll have to wait for the next dry night to park the car nose down - otherwise there's risk of soggy carpets. :(

It may be better to bite the bullet and replace the remaining leak-off pipes - that will at least eliminate this possibility.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
spider

Post by spider »

Last time I purchased any leak off pipe, It came from the dealer (it was not expensive actually) and was just a length, plenty enough for the bit between the injectors and the return piece too.

EDIT... Don't overlook the 'cap' either on the end injector ;)
Andy.