Glow plug indicator

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jaspwieser
My Cars:

Glow plug indicator

Post by Jaspwieser »

Have noticed when I start the xantia the glow plug indicator does not light up, even after being stood all night. Is there a way to check all the display lights as turning the ignition on doesn't do it either

Richard
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sadly not Richard, the only way to fully test the bulbs is to have the instrument pod right out and connect each across a small 12v battery. Because it's such a faff to get the pod in and out (easier on a MK2) , I test every bulb I replace, even brand-new ones.

As for the glowplug lamp, if it's an HDi then it's likely that it won't light until the brass monkeys are out in force as a common rail DI engine needs pre-heating only when penguins start to shiver..

The older 1.9TD and 2.1TD IDI engines need pre-heating even when the pavements are melting in the heat so if the lamp is off and yours is a 1.9 or 2.1 and there are no starting issues, you can assume the glowplugs are doing their thing and it's just a lamp... Unusual though as these warning lamps spend so little time alight that they do tend to last a long, long time.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jaspwieser
My Cars:

Post by Jaspwieser »

Than Jim, mine is a hdi
If I see penguins freezing their preverbal nuts off i'm not going out full stop

Richard
Richard
Xantia 2.0 hdi estate (Y REG)
C5 2.2 HDi estate (in a stupid purple colour)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Mine comes on (110 HDi) most starts - but unless is well below freezing it's usually <1s so you have to watch out for it. When it was -15 last winter it was like waiting for an old XUD's plugs!
Richard W
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

It only comes on if its really cold.

If you are interested, here are the figures for the DW10 (the 2.0 HDi unit):

coolant temperature -- pre-heating time in second(s)
  • -30°C -- 20
  • -10°C -- 5
  • 0°C -- 0.5
  • +18°C -- 0
Here's a snippet of tech info for the curious:
As soon as ignition is switched on : The engine management control unit supplies the glow plugs and controls the lighting of the warning light on the instrument panel, depending on the coolant temperature; The pre-heating time varies depending on the coolant temperature .

NOTE : the warning light on the instrument panel only comes on during the pre-heating phase; it comes on for the duration of the pre-heating .

If the starter is not operated, when the warning light goes out, the glow plugs remain supplied for a maximum of 10 seconds .

During the starting phase, the glow plugs are supplied under the following conditions :

* the coolant temperature is below 20 degrees C
* the engine runs at more than 70 rpm for 0.2 second(s)
;)

Summary: Having the glowplug light not work on a HDi is not a concern as long as it does start easily. As above, it will not come on unless its really cold.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG