Diesel tank overflow

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jaspwieser
My Cars:

Diesel tank overflow

Post by Jaspwieser »

Hi guys, I filled up the xantia for the second time yesterday, filled it up to the top. No spillage from the filler, put the cap back on and went to pay. When returned to the car there was a torrent of diesel flowing from under the car.. Is it that I have just over filled it or anything more serious.
Have not got any spillages on the drive and the economy is ok???

Richard
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

WAG but probably the filler hose has come loose from the tank, maybe the hose clip corroded and snapped.

Another possibility is the tank access port not properly sealed.
Lift the rear seat squabs. There will be a round plastic cover there, remove that and the tank access port is under it, fuel delivery and return pipes and level sensor wires attached to it. You should see straight away if it has been leaking.
Jaspwieser
My Cars:

Post by Jaspwieser »

Thank u
Richard
Xantia 2.0 hdi estate (Y REG)
C5 2.2 HDi estate (in a stupid purple colour)
Edhertz
(Donor 2022)
My Cars:

HDi fuel leak

Post by Edhertz »

Hello,
I had exactly the same experience as you when I went to fill up for the first time. Turned out to be sender/ fuel pump unit seal which is easily accessible under the rear seat. Previous owner was kind enough not to let me know. Some faffing around before I came to that because I also found two leaks on one of the lines from the filler point to the tank. The first leak was at the connector situated under the wheel arch(image1). This is a ‘push and twist’ connector with a single ‘o’ring (not shown on the Citroen dealer parts diagram). I carefully degreased the connector parts and reassembled using Hylomar. The same line continues round under the arch, nicely positioned for underside damage and disappears in the direction of the fuel tank and is made of some flexible type of plastic. This was also weeping from a split so I chopped a section of it out and let in a section using fuel hose. A word of warning. Some people advocate the use of a screwdriver or a lump of wood to drive the sealing ring undone. It was never designed to recieve that kind of treatment so try to make yoursef up a tool to put even steady turning force on the ring (image 3) and thus cause no damage. Ring undoes CCW, seal is shown as dealer part 153124 and costs around a fiver. Hope this has been of some help. Tool available to borrow if you want.
Regards, Alan
Jaspwieser
My Cars:

Post by Jaspwieser »

i have lifted up the seat and looked at the top of the tank, its swimming with diesel, the wheel arch is dry
im wondering if the garage could of knocked something as it was in for a service on thursday, they replaced the height level adjuster thing next to the tank. possibly coincidence.

thanks for your input Alan
Richard
Xantia 2.0 hdi estate (Y REG)
C5 2.2 HDi estate (in a stupid purple colour)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

They may have caught and dragged the flow or return line and ruptured the seal where it connects to the sender. Rather unlikely but not beyond the bounds of possibility.

If you try disconnecting and reconnecting the fuel lines in the first instance there may be nothing further required.