C5 1.6 HDI ABS/ESP FAULT,DEPOLLUTION SYSTEM FAULTY

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

crosser69

C5 1.6 HDI ABS/ESP FAULT,DEPOLLUTION SYSTEM FAULTY

Post by crosser69 »

bought this high mileage c5 1.6hdi 2006.
not had any problems for 3000 miles after i cleared out the strainer in the sump.
slowed down and pulled over the other day and abs and esp light come on,abs light stays on when you start the car and then goes off when you go over 20mph.abs and esp light comes on when i put it into reverse or am slowing down to put the car on the drive.
then yesterday 'depollution system faulty' light has come on,it wont go off ive even disconnected the battery overnight.
then today 'particulate filter oil level low' light come on.
any help please on hwhere to start looking?
coastline taxis

Post by coastline taxis »

youve got no choice other than to start with a diagnostic. although it does sound like you need your fap filter cleaned/changed and the Eolys fluid topped up and the counters in the ecu reset
crosser69

Post by crosser69 »

where abouts is the fap filter?
ive heard about the fluid and fluid will cost about £70.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

FAP is in the exhaust, underneath, near the front, were the pipe is all fat....

IF you can get it off, and all four bolts undone which hold it together, then you can Steam Clean the filter out!!!

I know this as my mate has VERY sucessfully done it on his 04 C5 2.2....

The hardest part was the 4 bolts - its not a massive problem, if you drill a broken one out you can then fit a Nut and Bolt back in place...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
crosser69

Post by crosser69 »

great stuff,my mate is going to have a look tomorrow to read all of the faults and try and fix them 1 by 1.
i will mention the filter in the exhaust and see if i can get it booked in to sort
Wideboy

Post by Wideboy »

If the 'low diesel additive level' warning is up then i'd suggest you budget more than £70 to have that topped up,especially if a garage is doing it.From memory i think you can buy a 4.5/5 litre kit and do it yourself far cheaper if you feel that way inclined.You will still need to get the ecu reset though.As for steam cleaning the FAP i too have had success in having this done but some people do frown upon it as the waste water is claimed to be bad for the environment etc.Personally i couldn't care less as the savings far outweigh any misgivings i may have about it.
crosser69

Post by crosser69 »

Champion,thanks for your replies,have managed to get the de pollution faulty light off,got a abs sensor to put on and that will sort the abs/esr light.
can the low particulate oil light be reset with a decent snap on diagnostic machine/tool?
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

crosser69 wrote:Champion,thanks for your replies,have managed to get the de pollution faulty light off,got a abs sensor to put on and that will sort the abs/esr light.
can the low particulate oil light be reset with a decent snap on diagnostic machine/tool?
Don't like to rain on your happiness but generally the ABS/ESR light comes on because of the engine failure .
The scenario is this: The ABS ?ESR system requires to know what torque the engine is putting out. This data comes from the engine ECU now when the engine ECU has a fault the Torque data is not valid so the ESP/ABS has now lost one of it's main data inputs so.........ESP/ASR fault

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
crosser69

Post by crosser69 »

its been on a machine while the light was on and its came up with the o/s front abs wheel sensor,particulate oil level low,thats the only 2 faults that showed up,the abs only comes on when i am putting the car up the curb with the o/s wheel which makes sense to me
bali7605
My Cars:

2.0L HDI Pug 307

Post by bali7605 »

Hello,

Sorry it is a bit off the topic but i have a situation here where my friend tried to chip the ECU with some dodgy mapping, on his 307 HDI, when i arrived PP2000 didnt communicate with the ECU so i decided to get a replacment, forunatly i've found one with all numbers matching, and i've got the VIN with it. I bougth the security code for both and wanted to program the new ECU in but, i couldnt find the way to reset the replacment ECU. Is there someone who could help me please!!
Just tell me how to reset and adopt.

Thank you,

bali
cachaciero
My Cars:

Re: 2.0L HDI Pug 307

Post by cachaciero »

bali7605 wrote:Hello,

Sorry it is a bit off the topic but i have a situation here where my friend tried to chip the ECU with some dodgy mapping, on his 307 HDI, when i arrived PP2000 didnt communicate with the ECU so i decided to get a replacment, forunatly i've found one with all numbers matching, and i've got the VIN with it. I bougth the security code for both and wanted to program the new ECU in but, i couldnt find the way to reset the replacment ECU. Is there someone who could help me please!!
Just tell me how to reset and adopt.

Thank you,

bali
I get the impression that the replacement ECU is a secondhand unit if so my understanding is that the VIN at least and probably the security codes cannot be re-programmed, they are not in flash memory but "one time programmable" ROM. The only way of using tihs would be to replace the rest of the electronics from the donner car or at least those that use the VIN code as part of their normal operation, BSI as a minimum.
Another alternative may be to replace the memory chip in the unit with a new one, one of the repair companies may be able to help with this.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC