405 clutch slipping

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

OF.uk
My Cars:

405 clutch slipping

Post by OF.uk »

I have a '91 405 with a slipping clutch. The cost of a 3 piece kit here is 3 times what one costs in the UK so I'm wondering if it can be adjusted for the time being at the cable. One mechanic says it can another says it can't :? It's been slipping slightly when accelerating uphill for a couple of weeks now.
Thanks,
Paul
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Its probably self adjusting, if you drive it gently and don't allow it to slip it could last thousands of miles.

Peter
cat86

Same problem

Post by cat86 »

Mine does the same, it slips constantly, but I have just started posting spam because I'm stupid and don't think the admins will do anything about it like re-edit my post to make me look like an idiot.
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Can't you order a clutch from the UK and have it shipped? Maybe buy it via Ebay from AEP. Personally I only use Valeo clutches.

Steve.
not applicable
OF.uk
My Cars:

Post by OF.uk »

Thanks guys.
I can order one from the UK but am a little wary of the wrong one being sent and the complications and time involved in getting it changed (been there done that!!). I've had incorrect stuff posted before, plus we also had a small package go missing for several months. I tried to get a friend bring one over for me when he was coming out but he didn't have room.
I think I'll just chance having the friction plate replaced. The car's old and has big mileage so we don't plan on keeping it too long but need it for the next few months.
Cheers,
Paul
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you drive it carefully it should last you a few months - as long as you are not towing with it.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

As the 405 is very much a European car I am suprised it is difficult to source the parts frpm a location near to you. As far as my experience goes the design of the clutch set is the same in these gearboxes. The pressure plates are often still good for service with a new friction plate if you want to keep costs down. A complete clutch set fro Europarts is about 100 euro but the shipping cost will be expensive.
Cheers!
John
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

It was the pressure plate that went on mine at 140k, still loads left on the friction plate. One of the fingers fractured and it started to slip on boost. I would advise if you're going to the trouble of doing this job just replace both, regardless of condition. Picked up a genuine part for £100 (from AEP via ebay), and you have the benefit of an OE part number so you know it's the right thing.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

Plus the most common thing to go is the release bearing, so best get a kit.