Squeaky xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

laks
My Cars:

Squeaky xantia

Post by laks »

Hi All,

Newbie here and in need of some advice please!

Just got a lovely 98 xantia td auto and is a great car.....now im not that mechanically minded (so maybe citroen not best choice eh?) but here's my problem of the moment!

The car squeks!! at first I thought it was just in driving but this is not the case, I got in the car the last night and as I sat down it squeked - if i rock it up/down it squeks! hope its something simple!!

any ideas greatly appreciated

TIA
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Is the squeak predominately from the rear? If so then rear suspension arm bearing would be my prime suspect, how many miles has the car done? To check the arms take a look at the car from the rear from a distance of 10-20 yards, if all is well the rear wheels should look vertical, if they look as if they're leaning inwards towards the top like / \ then the arm bearings need replacing. The job might look daunting but isn't quite as bad as you think.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Hi Laks

Welcome to FCF!

Sounds to me like the rear trailing arm bearings are knackered - not too bad to DIY if you are competent, otherwise expect to pay £150-£200 / side at an independent. Put the car on high and look from the rear - do either of the rear wheel appear to be leaning in at the top?
Richard W
laks
My Cars:

Post by laks »

Hey guys,

Thanks for that info, its too dark now but I'll check that in the daylight and let you know my findings!
However I think its more from the front or forward of centre, but agin I'll double check

Cheers
laks
My Cars:

Post by laks »

ps car done 114k
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

At 114k miles the bearings may be OK or need changing, difficult to say with that mileage.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Hi and Welcome!

Edit: Recently CitroJim has sent ---> a picture of the rear arm bearing kit <---
Last edited by VertVega on 10 Nov 2010, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

laks wrote:Hey guys,

Thanks for that info, its too dark now but I'll check that in the daylight and let you know my findings!
However I think its more from the front or forward of centre, but agin I'll double check

Cheers
Laks if its from the front then i suspect the front rams are a bit dry....it wont do any harm to pull up the gaitors (from the bottom) and grease up the struts a little) then up and down the car about 5 times. My bets is the noise will dissapear :wink:

Its usually more of a groan than a squeak but Citroens dont conform to rules :lol:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
laks
My Cars:

Post by laks »

vince wrote:
laks wrote:Hey guys,

Cheers
Laks if its from the front then i suspect the front rams are a bit dry....it wont do any harm to pull up the gaitors (from the bottom) and grease up the struts a little) then up and down the car about 5 times. My bets is the noise will dissapear :wink:

Its usually more of a groan than a squeak but Citroëns dont conform to rules :lol:
guys thanks for all your help, rear wheels seem straight from distance and a mate of mine (who knows his way round cars bit more than me, shame he lives so far!!) did as sugested by VINCE and this seems to have done the trick for now!

However as we all know,being Citroen owners, there will be plenty more I'll need advice on sooner or later so it's good to know you guys are the dons

Thanks all
'98 Xantia TDI auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hello laks, welcome to the forum :D

I've seen just about every Xantia problem now but a squeaky one is one I've not seen before :lol: Pleased a lube of the front struts did the trick...

On a completely separate note, unless you have strong documentary proof of it being done in the recent past, have the gearbox fluid changed. On these clever autoboxes it is very important and despite being billed as a "sealed for life" unit, they're not.

Do make sure whoever does it uses the right fluid. Esso LT71141 or the pukka Citroen/Peugeot AL4/4HP20 fluid is the ONLY stuff to use. Anything else will kill the gearbox.

There is also a special procedure to follow.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

On the subject of suspension, many non-enthusiast Xantia owners seem to never ever give the suspension a Citarobics work out:

With engine running, move the Height Control lever through the full range, pausing at fully HIGH and LOW for at least 20 seconds for the suspension to completely settle.

Personally, any time I have to wait in the car for 5 minutes (level crossing, waiting for someone) she gets a session - don't worry about making a spectacle, other drivers seem to be completely oblivious!
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Old-Guy wrote:On the subject of suspension, many non-enthusiast Xantia owners seem to never ever give the suspension a Citarobics work out:

With engine running, move the Height Control lever through the full range, pausing at fully HIGH and LOW for at least 20 seconds for the suspension to completely settle.

Personally, any time I have to wait in the car for 5 minutes (level crossing, waiting for someone) she gets a session - don't worry about making a spectacle, other drivers seem to be completely oblivious!
I wouldn't say that Guy - I get, and used to get with the Xantia, BX and GS, some expressions of puzzlement and occasionally outright horror when the car rises or sinks.
Amuses the hell out of me, but then small things...