3 quickys chaps if I may : )

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI Dave
My Cars:

3 quickys chaps if I may : )

Post by HDI Dave »

2 small leccy problems,jeez,I hate electrics :?

1.) Dark nights drawing in:
I was out in the car recentley,at night,lights on. All the dash lights were pretty poor.I thought it was just my eyesight,and didn't want to mess about while driving.
At home I stumbled upon the under dash dimmer switch,it was set on minimum - (I've previously had the underdash plastic off,and maybe rubbed against it setting it to minimum,altho sometimes the kids just have to play with all the knobs/switches :roll: ).
Anyway, the switch/knob/roundy thing :P was flippin hot,and I'm thinking, oh my god it's not a short or something, thought it could have caught fire :shock:
I turned it up to max and next night the dimmer thing was cold.
I reckon it's ok myself, just wondering if it got hot because it resists/strangles current on dim?

2.) My interior lights seem to work intermittently. Sometimes they work fine,then not at all :?
I've tried it on both settings,(door open sign, or 'on'). At the minute they've not worked again this past week. Wifey says they only work with the ignition on, but I tried that yesterday, ignition on or off, they still aint working?!!

3.) I gots me the dreaded damp carpet,passenger side.Just damp,near the front of the pass footwell, (wondered why the car was steaming up during the night!). Been fine before, just noticed it today while doing a mini valet, (was gonna go car wash,but it was sunny,did it meself..free :P )

What's THE most likely scenario?
P.s, The search function don't seem to work for me most times, I have tried, I just get a page of todays posts :shock: lol

Sorry for the long, quicky post :oops: :lol:

Ta, Dave.
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

OK, you need to replace the meater hatrix.

The inferior lights - if you mean your "B pillar" lights as opposed to the footwell lights, the cases age on later manufactured ones. They changed plastic type and thinned it marginally. It causes the light blubs to make intermittent contact. I repaired mine once with plastic welding, but now have installed 1994 units - undamaged and older!
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

The dimmer, it will get warm if its set 'low' , as the current is being absorbed into the resistor.

You can replace it or bypass it if you are concerned, but it depends how 'warm' you mean. I've not noticed them get too hot.

It's possible the resistor may be breaking down internally which would generate a bit of warmth.

Similar to your house light dimmer but these tend to have a slightly different design and some heatsink to dissipate the heat (although I bet if you left your light on dim for an hour them compared the feel of the plastic to it being on full for an hour, you would notice the difference)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

ahh right, nice one on the b pillar lights, I will investigate :wink:

Bummer on the 'meater hatrix' lol.

I was wondering that myself, and have read somewhere on here, (my search bot seems to be on strike..) that it could smell/taste? Mine just feels a bit damp...
Also, aint there a pollen filter or summat on the passenger side ( UK, RHD, same as OZ)? I've no idea, I'm old school, what the hell is a pollen filter! (might have been on my old Fraud Mundaneo).
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

Dimmer, cheers spider/Andy,

I was thinking it, (the current), was getting strangled or summat, (tell I'm crap with electrics can't you lol) but it did get worryingly hot.
I'm not too fussed as I don't need it set on minimum, so thanks for the reassurance :wink:
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

The meater hatrix (i like that!) might not be the problem. Windscreens are not unknown to leak, and if the screen is not original its possibly the case. Even if its original, it could well be leaking. Its where id start first before considering ripping out the matrix.

As for the interior lights, have you checked the button in the door shut is working correctly?
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I spike my loonerisms... :P

Series 2 Xantias have no door jamb switches - the CPH takes its signal from the door lock.
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

so if some one else uses it your saying its going to do something nasty, like leak :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Blessed are the leaks, for they shall inhabit the earth.
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

addo wrote: Series 2 Xantias have no door jamb switches - the CPH takes its signal from the door lock.
Ahh, mine does not indeed have one, I 've just been out and checked! Learn summat new everyday :D oh well, at least that (none existant door shut switch, I'm so old skool), can be ruled out!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dave, yes, you can smell/taste a leaking hatrix (Love that!). Antifreeze, when warm, has a distinct curry sauce smell and if it hits you in the face when the heater is first turned on then the matrix is weepy.

Also, if you feel the damp, it will feel sticky if it is antifreeze. It'll taste very sweet if you dip your finger and take a quick lick. Else that, it'll taste very bitter if a bittering agent has been added, as is the case with some newer formulations.

Don't lick too much as it's poisonous...

Rainwater is tasteless and has a vague musty smell.

Rainwater is more than likely a failed scuttle seal...
addo wrote:Blessed are the leaks, for they shall inhabit the earth.
:lol: :lol: What have you been smoking/drinking this evening Adam?

leaks surely like to inhabit Xantias :twisted: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

point 1, as said, ignore it, the energy has to go somewhere :)

point 2, hit it. (no seriously, fixes mine up a treat, don't use a hammer, just your fist will do)

point 3, i'd be looking for leaks around the windscreen first as my hdi gets wet down there as well (probably could have worded it better :)) mine also leaks from the ariel as well, i wonder if anyone else gets that
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if the tracks of the dimmer are tarnished, then you adjust it to a point it has'nt bin for a long time, this could/would cause a bad conection henss the over reatting hesitor,

does your car have a bun roof, if so you could also give all the 4 roof drain tubes a blast of compresed air to clear them out,

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote:does your car have a bun roof
Is that a special Cockney sunroof then Malcolm? One that lets the "currant bun"* shine through

*"currant bun" is Cockney rhyming slang for sun. It is often used in reference to the daily newspaper of the same name. For example:

"Let's 'ave a read of yer current bun when you've finished.."
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

A read, not a butcher's (hook)?

Over to you, China. :lol: