Odd tyre question.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

OwenP
My Cars:

Odd tyre question.

Post by OwenP »

Yet again I have what will probably turn out to be a stupid question, but here goes.

I have just been out for a short drive in the 406, I thought the car felt a bit odd (sorry can't define what I mean) at the front left, I had a look at the front left tyre when I got back, and noticed there is a yellowy brown line running right around the centre line of the tyre, between the very middle two treads.
There appears to be sufficient tread left cf the check marks (probably 4 or 5mm all told) I haven't checked the pressures although I find they hold pressure well and visually the tyre doesn't look low on pressure.
I compared it to the front right (same tyre make and model) and the line is not there. The tyres are Nexen CP641 195/65/R15s. This mark doesn't seem to be dirt, it was visible on all the tyre I could see and I couldn't make a mark in it with my nail.

Any ideas please?
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Guess you could ask a tyre place as googling the brand hasn't turned up
anything apart from a patent describing a built in indiactor tell tale.

Sounds like a tyre wear indicator line although the 4-5mm doesn't sound like
UK paramaeters - I know we're legally permitted more use out of our tyres
than other EU, foreign markets. Is it even and fully circumfrential on the tyre?

Andrew
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

In the UK we can go down to 1.6mm of tread, so a low tread indicator doesn't seem likely, but this is why I'm asking 'cause I just don't know. Unless it is a european indicator perhaps?

The line is even and as far as I can tell covers the whole circumference of the tyre.

I've just taken a couple of pictures in case they may be of use.

Close up of the line.

More general view of tyre.

Other front tyre for comparison.

As you suggest I think I might be giving a local tyre place a call tomorrow see what they reckon.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i dont know why its there but it is quite comon to see this on a new tyre,

also the wear indicators are the tinny blocks at intervals in and between the tread patern,

regards malcolm
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Yeah I remember seeing these sort of marks on brand new tyres, but these aren't by a long way, they have been on the car probably about a year and a half, although have only done a few thousand miles as best as I can work out.

Yeah I know the normal wear indicators are the little blocks, just wasn't sure if the line may be a different sort of indicator, or if it is an indication of a problem with the tyre.

Sometime I can end up driving fairly long distance with little warning (going to job interviews) so I don't want a problem to occur on the motorway at 70mph if I can prevent it before hand by paying attention and asking a few questions.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Our Peugeot has those Nexen CP641 tyres on the front too, they also have the yellow band in the centre, they are warn a similar amount to your tyres there.

Its just a manufacturing line which hasn't worn off as that part of the tyre wont touch the road until its worn past the centre grove.

Ive not felt any problems with the tyres while driving it, despite them being quite shocking tyres for grip, they feel fine, not odd.

They appear to be very stiff tyres, when we got the Pug the pressures all round were only 20PSi, not the recommended 34, but they didn't look soft at all.

Tyre failure usually occurs due to tyre impacts, such as scuffing or driving up curbs, hitting potholes, etc. Check for any cuts or bulges in the sidewalls. I would recommend keeping a check on your tyres pressures every few weeks, or at least every month. That way your tyres performance stays more constant, but you also can pick up punctures early too.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Okay, that makes sense, just can't understand why I didn't spot it before. Will check the pressure in that tyre particularly next time I go out then just in case it is low. Everything else about the tyre looks fine. Perhaps I was imagining the odd feel, or maybe its a slight lack of pressure combined with poor roads and low grip from the rain.

Glad its not just me that finds they lack grip though, especially as the pug garage couldn't believe it when I asked about new tyres last time they had it.

I normally do try to keep a check on the pressures all round, will just make sure it is a bit more regular for a while in case there is something else odd about that tyre. I normally avoid the potholes etc. when possible, I'm sure I must look drunk on some roads down here when doing that though.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yes, they do offer very poor grip, even in the dry they give up too easily for my liking. I find you need to be very careful when cornering in the wet. Its quite scary how much grip there isn't with these Nexens.

Yes, avoiding the larger potholes is certainly recommended.

If its still feeling odd, you might want to get the tracking checked.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Right I have now got brand new tyres on the front, and the car feels so much better; The tracking was slightly out and has also been corrected.

Even with the warning that the tyres may be slippery for the first 100 miles or so they have more grip than the old ones.

In the end I went with Kumho tyres, which the tyre place recommended very highly. So I'll wait and see how I get on with these.