Looking for car lift/ramp plans

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

atr
My Cars: Xantia 2.0l 16v 2001 petrol
C5 mkII 2.0l petrol sx pack 2007
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Looking for car lift/ramp plans

Post by atr »

Hi all
I hope that the admin will not delete my post since it's not specific for Citroen, but perhaps you can help.
I'm looking for plans/ideas to build a ramp so that I'll be able to do more things on my car (a Xant, btw). let me point that I have the skills and the equipment (welder,saw,lathe,etc) for the job.
Thanx for your help.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Plenty of people build their own ramps using angle-iron and plate - no great challenge - and some build sloping walls to drive up!
A fully-fledged lift is another matter altogether - there'd be some real design work involved (calculating stresses etc), and a lot of fabrication. You'd probably be better buying one second-hand; they come up quite regularly.
atr
My Cars: Xantia 2.0l 16v 2001 petrol
C5 mkII 2.0l petrol sx pack 2007
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Post by atr »

dnsey thanks.
what I'm looking for is something in between. not the typy that is used in car repair shops, that's an overshooting for me and on the other hant not the simplest 20 or 30 cm high. I'm almost sure that there is something like that and since I dont want to "reinvent the wheel", I'm looking for something that already built.
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

Do people (in nil flood risk areas) dig pits in their garages anymore? That's what I've always wanted since my father used to go around to his mates with one when I was a nipper. I also remember Dad spraying his car in that garage but I don't remember the use of a mask either :oops:
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Do people (in nil flood risk areas) dig pits in their garages anymore?
I have one, but dug by my predecessor, not me.
It would be quite useful if:
a) I could get a car into the garage, and
b) It was less of a struggle getting out of the pit and under the car sill (especially on a lowered hydraulic Citroen) :shock:
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

I wish I had enough room for a car ramp as seen in Deanxm's link (or as in below).
Here's another link for car ramp design inspiration :) ... --> http://www.carstages.com/
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

VertVega wrote:I wish I had enough room for a car ramp as seen in Deanxm's link (or as in below).
Here's another link for car ramp design inspiration :) ... --> http://www.carstages.com/
Interesting site VertVega I think I saw this site a while back, looking further they even show a ramp being used in a workshop, so they are not just for showrooms/sales areas.

Also they show what happens when they are poorly made, and unsafe by competitors copying their product.

Take a read through it, and look at the pictures which demonstrate the point.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

ACTIVE8 wrote:... they even show a ramp being used in a workshop, so they are not just for showrooms/sales areas ...
When I have first seen their ramp I also thought it would be good for car repair purposes 8-)
I watched their Demo video 4MB which is actually a 9.5MB wmv file.

It has a smart design and very practical I think.

ACTIVE8 wrote:... Also they show what happens when they are poorly made , and unsafe by competitors copying their product. ...
Checked it after reading your post. Some construction 'engineers' have forgotten the structural strength calculations, I guess :roll:

So far I manage well with the wooden ramps I made. I got inspiration from ---> Rhino ramps 8000 <---
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

So far I manage well with the wooden ramps I made. I got inspiration from ---> Rhino ramps 8000 <---
Those Rhino ramps remind me of the type of chocks the Fire Brigade use here, when chocking a vehicle to stabilise it when lifting, winching, general working on vehicles when they attend an accident, and need to keep the vehicle still, while working with a Holomatro ("jaws of life") or other equipment, and attending to the casulty.

In actual fact it is probably the same durable material, although their ones come in all different shapes, and sizes.
ACTIVA

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

VertVega wrote:
ACTIVE8 wrote:... Also they show what happens when they are poorly made , and unsafe by competitors copying their product. ...
Checked it after reading your post. Some construction 'engineers' have forgotten the structural strength calculations, I guess :roll:
It also though could be copycat products done by those with no structural knowledge, not consulting those that can do the structural calculations, and being built in a hurry, and down to a low price with poor quality welding, and materials.

There is a saying/caveat that is used here in the U.K. "buyer be aware" and if someone wants to be safe, as well as their customers, then they need to be careful what they buy, and where they buy it from.
ACTIVA