Xantia 1.8 cutting out

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cottage1

Xantia 1.8 cutting out

Post by cottage1 »

Hope somebody can help,car drives perfect then all of a sudden cuts out for a second or so and then comes back to life,just as if ignition been turned off,rev counter doesn't drop,no lights come on,seems to happen more anywhere over 35 mph,anyone help please.
Ref

Post by Ref »

Have you checked your spark plugs?
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

It is probably the coil pack or the insulation between one of the coils and a spark plug. It seems to be a design fault on this particular engine. I have found this on a couple of these engines so far.

Lift off the coil pack and look at the insulation. If any one of these is dirty or burnt, that will be the cause. Eventually, the ECU will switch into limp mode.

H
Thermonuclear
My Cars:

Post by Thermonuclear »

Had the same problem on a 1.8 16 valve Xantia this time last year, the engine would cut out for 1-3 seconds when driving at a constant speed once or twice a day. After much checking I traced the fault to a faulty Manifold Air Pressure Sensor. Other potential causes are the coil pack (as posted above) or the double injection relay, or just a bad plug or wire somewhere.
1996 Xantia 1.9 TD
1998 Xantia 1.8 16V
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've had this on the Activa. It was very intermittent but has never (touch-wood) returned since swapping the double injection relay.

A clue can be gleaned as to where the fault lies by watching the dash when the engine cuts out. If the dash warning lights come on and the tacho needle falls to zero then the fault is likely the relay. If the dash remains normal then the problem is the coil or sensors.

A duff coil will often be OK when cold and fail when hot.

One cause of this problem was duff ignition switch contacts. In this case the dash will die with no lights and all instruments falling to zero.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...