Xantia A/C whirring noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiaFT

Xantia A/C whirring noise

Post by XantiaFT »

Hi all,

Finally got round to asking this question...

My A/C system generates a whirring noise which seems to be originating from the front passenger side area. I can't seem to hear it from outside but it's definitely audible inside the cabin and from the passenger side. It comes on one or two seconds after pressing the A/C button and fluctuates in intensity through the rev range. It did disappear for a little while (a couple of days) after turning it on and flooring it on a dual carriageway! However, it came back and is just the same as it was before. For info, the pollen filter has been changed, it blows cold, demists accordingly and does not have any funny smells. As soon as you turn the A/C off, the sound goes away, and the fan operates quietly. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The evaporator pipes are on the passenger’s side, and the Xantia aircon usually has a hissing sound that varies with the charge in the circuit.
When floored, I think that the aircon gets turned off to get a bit more power.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
XantiaFT

Post by XantiaFT »

It's definitely not a hissing noise. 'Whirring' is more of an accurate description. I tried the same experiment last night. Turned the A/C on, whirring noise came on, then drove up through the rev range for a short distance. The noise went away. Finished my journey and returned to the car a few hours later, drove off, turned on A/C and the noise wasn't there. However, it will probably come back after a day or two.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

It could be that the oil is low within the A/C system, unfortunately the only way to check the level is to have a re-gas.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

I thought that you can check the fluid through the little glass window on top of the something-or-other
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

rmunns wrote:I thought that you can check the fluid through the little glass window on top of the something-or-other
You can see fluid/refrigerant passing by the window but not the level.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH