Best way to tune a 205 xs?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Redadair85@hotmail.co.uk

Best way to tune a 205 xs?

Post by Redadair85@hotmail.co.uk »

Hey guys does anyone know the best way to tune a 205 xs? Iv been considering an engine change maybe GTI? How much work would this involve thanks
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Is it the (rarer) twin carb XS ?, if they are set up properly they do go very well anyway, although you will need a decent garage to properly setup a pair of carbs, the 'art' of doing this by ear seems to be fading now (Jim, if you read this I bet you know how to listen to balance a pair) ;)

A simpler change would be to replace the 1.4 TU engine with the 1.6 TU unit really. The gearbox can stay. The brakes I'm not too sure as the driveshafts / hubs are different. Possibly the 1.6 auto brakes would offer improvement.

You could use the XU (the GTi) units, either carb or injection (carb will be a hell of a lot easier as you have that already) but if you did this you will need a gearbox / driveshafts / hubs and front brakes at least.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Easy solution is to use the bay of e.
Sell it and buy a 205 1.6 GTi :)

then Jim can tell you how they tune and go back to standard :D
Redadair85@hotmail.co.uk

Post by Redadair85@hotmail.co.uk »

Yes it's the twin choke one, and which tu engine is the 1.6? Didn't realise they did a carb'd GTI?

I already have gti brakes waiting to go on when I get time and I cant afford INS on a 1.6 3,500:/
spider

Post by spider »

They did not do a carb GTi ;) I was thinking of simplicity that's all.

The 1.6 TU is the 306 1.6 unit (looks like the 1.4 you have, more or less) it is a cast block instead of liner'ed though (probably better) , that's just the 'easy' upgrade, and should generate a bit more power. Not a huge amount, but a bit more.

Depends what you plan really. The 1.6 XU (the GTi unit or any 1.6XU really, 405 maybe?) or possibly the 1.9 unit along with a pair of carbs (or a single one) will provide plenty of power.

You could always use one of the XU8J4 / XU10J4 units from a 406, you will need a gearbox if you do this obviously.

Another idea: The XU10J2 unit (the rare-ish 2.0 8v turbo engine) into a 205. It is a tight squeeze though from what I understand.
Andy.

siraff

Post by siraff »

Did they change the engine with year on the 205 xs then? The one I had had a slant block engine and dual carbs (not twin choke but actually two carbs).
spider

Post by spider »

I think post 86 were the TU 1.4 unit, the GT had the twin carbs if I remember correctly.

The earlier models were that 'suitcase' 1.3 engine I think (although that's a bit before my time)
Andy.

Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

The 306 1.6 Tu is injection so you will have to replace the ECU and the whole engine bay to dash wireing harness and fit an exhaust system with a catalyst plus lots of "bits & bobs".Is it worth the hassle?? Like the man said sell it and get a GTI.
spider

Post by spider »

Oldpug wrote:The 306 1.6 Tu is injection so you will have to replace the ECU and the whole engine bay to dash wireing harness and fit an exhaust system with a catalyst plus lots of "bits & bobs".Is it worth the hassle?? Like the man said sell it and get a GTI.
Sort of, although you can fit a carb + manifold to the 1.6 TU unit and do away with the injection system, which is what I meant. You only need to comply with the age of the vehicle not the age of the engine ;) , if he put say a new HDi in it, he would not have to comply with the requirements for that year, only the year of the vehicle's manufacture.
Andy.