My First V6.. (but not a fisher price)

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

User avatar
Chris570
Donor 2020
Posts: 1482
Joined: 12 Dec 2009, 15:10
x 5

My First V6.. (but not a fisher price)

Post by Chris570 »

Well well well, it finally happened, the lure of the V6 was too much.

Last night I picked up a 1999 Xantia V6 from Xantia_V6. (Thank you lots)

So its a 1999 Xantia V6, so you guys all know it has the usual toys.....

Its metalic green with an approximately coloured spoiler ;) cream leather interior (has grown on me). It had a chavtastic front splitter fitted (badly) although I must stress Mike didnt do that, nor the spoiler while I'm doing the disclaimers.

Well the proof is in the pudding they say, so once on the lexia and faults cleared, only one returned, drivers airbag. To be fair I knew about that so a new ring thingy (the name escapes me) should see that fixed (fault isnt present when steering wheel straight ahead)

Just for Jim, the Hydractive ECU showed NO faults, not even the steering wheel angle sensor....

Another for Jim............... Thank you so so much for letting me drive yours, you got me hooked....

Deanxm
Posts: 3322
Joined: 18 Dec 2008, 18:57
x 41

Post by Deanxm »

Just for Jim, the Hydractive ECU showed NO faults, not even the steering wheel angle sensor....
Lies!!!!!, burn the heretic :lol:

Good luck with the new car, any piccies for the nosey?

D

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 42198
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1252

Post by CitroJim »

Great to see you starting a blog Chris :D

It is very unusual for the hydracticve ECU not to have a few faults so I wonder if Mike ran his Lexia across it before you picked it up?

Just you wait though, hydractive faults will return as sure as spring follows winter...

How's the gearbox feeling?

Been having fun with the "S" button? I bet you have :lol:

User avatar
Chris570
Donor 2020
Posts: 1482
Joined: 12 Dec 2009, 15:10
x 5

Post by Chris570 »

CitroJim wrote:Great to see you starting a blog Chris :D

It is very unusual for the hydracticve ECU not to have a few faults so I wonder if Mike ran his Lexia across it before you picked it up?

Just you wait though, hydractive faults will return as sure as spring follows winter...
Well its only had 60 miles on it since having a new battery so i'm not taking this as gospel, knew it would get a reaction though :)
CitroJim wrote:How's the gearbox feeling?

Been having fun with the "S" button? I bet you have :lol:
No, of course not............................... ok maybe just a bit. It is holding gears longer than i'd like though

User avatar
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 7474
Joined: 09 Nov 2005, 23:03
x 421

Post by xantia_v6 »

CitroJim wrote:Great to see you starting a blog Chris :D

It is very unusual for the hydracticve ECU not to have a few faults so I wonder if Mike ran his Lexia across it before you picked it up?
I did have the lexia on it last weekend (I had left the air temperature sensor off and it was running like a box of bolts), but even then, there was no hydroactive fault logged.

I think it will be a very nice car with a bit of TLC. BTW Jim, you owe Chris a spare wheel for it :wink:

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 42198
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1252

Post by CitroJim »

Chris570 wrote: It is holding gears longer than i'd like though
Explain?

Remember it's auto-adaptive and will adapt to your driving style with great effectiveness. If you have been driving it with some er, enthusiasm, it will remember this as your style and hold on to gears for you.

It works the other way too. Drive it very gently and it'll change up and get into top very rapidly...

It's all a case of training and understanding how the auto-adaptive maps work...

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 42198
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1252

Post by CitroJim »

xantia_v6 wrote:BTW Jim, you owe Chris a spare wheel for it :wink:
No worries Mike :) I have a selection that Chris may choose from :wink:

User avatar
Chris570
Donor 2020
Posts: 1482
Joined: 12 Dec 2009, 15:10
x 5

Post by Chris570 »

CitroJim wrote:
Chris570 wrote: It is holding gears longer than i'd like though
Explain?

Remember it's auto-adaptive and will adapt to your driving style with great effectiveness. If you have been driving it with some er, enthusiasm, it will remember this as your style and hold on to gears for you.

It works the other way too. Drive it very gently and it'll change up and get into top very rapidly...

It's all a case of training and understanding how the auto-adaptive maps work...
when you press the "s" button (i presume that means super-eco, right?)

if you accelerate up harshly to say 60mph and then level off the speed it will hold second gear for about 5-10 seconds as opposed to going to 4th (or at least 3rd) is this normal?

User avatar
Chris570
Donor 2020
Posts: 1482
Joined: 12 Dec 2009, 15:10
x 5

Post by Chris570 »

Image

Image


Some pictures for your pleasure.

Jim drove it last night and seemed to enjoy it as well, so i'd say things are going well :)

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 42198
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1252

Post by CitroJim »

She's shining like Bristol Bacon Chris... Very tasty :D

I rather like the green...
Chris570 wrote:Jim drove it last night and seemed to enjoy it as well, so i'd say things are going well :)
Yes, I did enjoy it Chris. I must say yours drives a treat in all respects and the gearbox performance appeared to be absolutely faultless under all conditions. As said, I recommend you do a fluid change as soon as you can. At least having a dipstick makes the job a little easier...

It was interesting driving my Old V6 along exactly the same route we drove last night on the way to work this morning.. Very little difference except mines a tad noisier, firmer and a little jerkier on the transmission. Compared to yours though, anything is jerky. Your 4HP20 is just sooooo smooth and that's what worried Mike, It seemed too smooth....

As I say, there is nothing that suggestes there is any impeding problems though and I'm, as always, at a loss to expalin why it is so smooth....

User avatar
Chris570
Donor 2020
Posts: 1482
Joined: 12 Dec 2009, 15:10
x 5

Post by Chris570 »

well under your recommendation i'll fill it right to the brim with Dexron *hides*

jgra1
Posts: 4526
Joined: 27 Nov 2005, 20:07
x 18

Post by jgra1 »

"s" button (i presume that means super-eco, right?)
you are Joking Chris :D ?

( I have had some of my sense of humour removed by the ISO auditor talking to my boss behind me.. god I hate this rubbish)

User avatar
Chris570
Donor 2020
Posts: 1482
Joined: 12 Dec 2009, 15:10
x 5

Post by Chris570 »

jgra1 wrote:
"s" button (i presume that means super-eco, right?)
you are Joking Chris :D ?

( I have had some of my sense of humour removed by the ISO auditor talking to my boss behind me.. god I hate this rubbish)
i am joking don't worry :)

and auditors? don't even get me started

User avatar
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 7474
Joined: 09 Nov 2005, 23:03
x 421

Post by xantia_v6 »

CitroJim wrote: As I say, there is nothing that suggestes there is any impeding problems though and I'm, as always, at a loss to expalin why it is so smooth....
I drove it for months before finally deciding that the transmission is dodgy. It will sometimes be perfect for days, then it will start slipping in first (but only when the transmission oil is fairly cold). That upsets the auto adaptive function, so for the following few miles the changes are all quite harsh, then it adapts back to being very smooth and lulls you into believing it is OK.

After driving it for a couple of miles last week, and then getting back into my other one, the difference in first gear behaviour was obvious. But... I have no evidence that it is getting worse.

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 42198
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1252

Post by CitroJim »

xantia_v6 wrote: After driving it for a couple of miles last week, and then getting back into my other one, the difference in first gear behaviour was obvious. But... I have no evidence that it is getting worse.
It's a funny one Mike, that's for sure. I was really quite hard on it last evening and tried everything I could think of to provoke any odd behaviours but it was as sweet as a nut and as smooth as a smooth thing. As I say, knowing the HP20, a bit too smooth..

Most odd...

Chris, observe its behaviour and let us know any funnies you may experience...