Reftiitting Xantia strut boots

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davewithington
My Cars:

Reftiitting Xantia strut boots

Post by davewithington »

Ok, chaps, is there a quick and easy way to get my new boots to slip onto my new strut tops?

i've just had a frustrating hoour in the garage, trying to get the top of the boot to slip onto the flange on the strut top.

Any advice?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dave, it's a miserable job :twisted:

I find the best way is to lubricate the strut top ring and gaiter with a dash of LHM and then push the gaiter up until a part of the groove is caught on the ring.

Then, holding the groove on the ring (so that it doesn't slip off) rotate the gaiter until the whole groove is on the ring. Sort of screw it on if you see what I mean. I find it best to grip a few concertinas down from the top to do the rotation.

Once it is on, ensure the gaiter will rotate very freely on the strut itself at the bottom and check that no amount of movement will dislodge it from the top ring. This is critical to ensure it stays put.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

My new boots are now fitted, and it's like wrestling with a small black corrugated python!

The boots supplied look different to those already fitted, apart from being straight and clean of course. They're longer for one thing, about twice the length. Look good on though.

This thing about rotating freely. The top of the boot is securely held, but the bottom slips round beautifully, so there's no binding when turning the steering from lock to lock, so I can't see them tearing or anything.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I believe there are two sizes now as (I think) newer strut tops have a different ring diameter...

Maybe you fought one with a smaller diameter onto a bigger ring Dave..

I love your description :lol: Good job they don't bite...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

Whatever the reason, it was a right batard of a job, which I do not want to do again.

Look good though, nice and shiny.