C5 satellite navigation problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

etak
My Cars:

C5 satellite navigation problem

Post by etak »

Hi,
I recently purchased an amazing 2002 C5. I have always wanted a Citroen, ever since I was a little kid and saw a DS in the London to Sydney Rally of 1968. An Exclusive 2.2 HDI, it has just about every option available except a tow bar! Interior looks like new - it was a one owner with all service history. The previous keeper traded it in on a new C5 apparently.

Anyway, there is only one problem with it. The Sat Nav is not working! It has a 7" colour screen and the CD drive is in the pocket to the right of the steering wheel. After I bought the car, I found there was no map CD, so I was stupid enough to purchase a new map and software discs from Navteq and they will not refund so I am stuck with them. But the maps are 2010-2011 and brand new software.

So what happens is this - when I put in the map CD, and change to the maps there is just a blue screen with an arrow in the middle and does nothing. When I try to get directions, it says "Out of Mapped Area".

I checked the GPS co-odrinates the system was giving - the actual is (checked from http://www.satsig.net/)

Lat = 51 degrees, 25.0 minutes North
Long = 0 degrees, 10.2 minutes West

The Sat nav reading is

Lat = 51 degrees, 39.43 minutes North
Long = 2 degrees, 2.49 minutes East

Does this explain why the satnav is saying that I am outside the map area? - I reckon its reading as somewhere in the English Channel or France!!

If so, how do I get this fixed? Or is it something else I have missed. Can anyone please assist?

Kind regards,
etak.
Citroen C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive SE 02 Plate
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

My guess would be that the NEW disc are not compatable with the OLD software on the head unit. It could just be that the dealer has forgotten to give you the old disc, worth a phone call :?: maybe worth contacting the previous owner as well :wink:

The other 2 options are to try, one is purchase older maps, (kinda defeats the object) the other would be to get the software updates, now there are some very good sites that you can download and upgrade the software yourself, if you feel confident enough to do that, they could also offer better advise :D

The first is:

www.gpsunderground.com

The second is

www.eurovan2.com
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather

http://c6owners.org/index.php
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

etak,

I've recently downloaded new maps for my C5 sat nav which will be the same as yours.

The maps I have are 2010/2011 and work perfectly.

If you pm me I can give you the location on Rapidshare. Or, give me your address and I'll burn a CD and send it to you.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
etak
My Cars:

Post by etak »

Hi Steve/Kev,

Thanks for your replies! The dealer (Citroen Slough) sold me the new software update and he installed it for me. Then I bought the maps online because he said it would be cheaper than buying it from them. So I have the new software update and the new maps - but there is no way I can tell if the maps Navteq sent me are working properly or not. Doesn't seem fair that Navteq will not even replace them.

Having said that, do you think that the GPS mechanism in my car may be faulty? This theory is based on the different readings I am getting from the GPS in the car and the reading from the website at that same position in London.

Kev,
I would certainly like to take you up on the offer of a CD. Only wish I'd found this site beforehand! I will pm you shortly.

Kind regards,
etak.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

The receiver will store the last valid fix 2 degrees east is on the continent. So if the receiver never gets another valid fix this position will stay locked in.

Now why might you not get a valid fix?

The GPS has an active antena built into the base of the radio aerial, it gets power down the co-ax cable from the reciever to the aerial.

I have read reports of bad connections in the radio aerial base and poor supply down the cable due to bad connection in the back of the unit.

Just a thought

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
etak
My Cars:

Post by etak »

I recently purchased a brand new aerial base and replaced the old one with it. Now the sat nav is working fine. It was a leap of faith because the dealer would not refund if it didn't work, but based on the advice in the forums here, I gave it a go!

Great forum! Thanks all!!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Great result etak! Always nice to hear that things worked out well.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Good to hear that it's sorted now!
If you'd be interested in selling the old antenna base, please PM me. Mine has failed, but I only need it for radio reception (I have a screen antenna for satnav), so would be interested in buying yours.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I noticed that my radio goes to 999.9khz when I inadvertently push the button on the stalk.

When I get traffic announcements it is always via Classic FM so last night while waiting for a passenger I retuned the radio to Classic FM, which works fine but now the display tells me that the RDS and TA are both unavailable.

I presume this has to do with me having removed the whip aerial but seems a bit contradictory.
jimleshed
My Cars:

Post by jimleshed »

If I remember correctly you can see how many satelites/how good a signal your aerial picks up, not just the last fix you had.

But...I cant remember if this can be done with the standard buttons in the car or using a lexia. (lexia is a diagnostics tool). Either way you can at least see if the problem is with the aerial picking up satelites or not, which may help you decide on a repair.

Mine has been lost in france for so long now that I hardly ever look at it. I needs a new aerial.
Jim Le Shed
Citroen C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive
Mazda RX8 231PS
Past history...
Mazda MX5
Renault Lagunas (3)
Peugeot 405, 205
Citroen CX's (5)
Citroen GS (lots of other Cars and Bikes too!!)