1997 pug 1.8 petrol

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

skyclad

1997 pug 1.8 petrol

Post by skyclad »

How the devil do you get the timing belt cover off ? Got the 3 top screws out and slid the levr up but it still refusing to budge..
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It may help if we know the exact engine and car Mr. Skyclad :wink:

Normally the cam covers don't often put up that much of a fight although there is often some manipulation required. I suspect you have not removed all the fixings. They are good at hiding!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I can't remember if the petrols' have the silly 11mm (or so) bolt around the back of the top cover. Lifting the 'slide' up is something I do remember, although it must be at least 5 years since I saw one...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
skyclad

Post by skyclad »

its a 97 XU engine. I've done all the ones I can find, it is loose but wont budge. Are there some more little buggers on the bottom to undo?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

skyclad wrote:its a 97 XU engine.
8 or 16 valve?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
skyclad

Post by skyclad »

I think, although not absolutly certain, its a 16 valve.
spider

Post by spider »

Will be 16valve unless import, all are 16v apart from exec (which has the 8v turbo unit, in most cases) :)
Andy.

spider

Post by spider »

Actually, I think you may have to remove a bolt out of the bottom cover, thinking again. I think it might be 'shared' :?:
Andy.

skyclad

Post by skyclad »

Got the cover off at last (remove the engine mounting) What a palaver!! Now back to original problem...

The car refused to start and when it turned over sounded like lack of compression. Car was been fine the day before. Got sparks got fuel?? Suspected timing belt... Belt looks in good condition and shouldn't be due for renewal.

Now the exhaust and inlet cams line up ok with their holes but the crankshaft seems way out. I've heard that the rubber bush on the pulley can slip and render the timing hole a complete waste of space.

Is there any other way to check the crank position?? :roll:
Pug 406L 1997
Transit Campervan 1990
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

The crank pulley timing hole can be checked by using a suitable solid pulley.

I can't recall which engines they are fitted to, I was told but have forgotten. I got mine from a 205.

These pulleys are solid and have no rubber dampener so the hole does not move. Just whip the aux belt off, temporarily replace your crank pulley with the solid one and turn the engine and check the hole does indeed line up.

If your crank pulley timing hole has indeed gone AWOL then you need to change the pulley.

Also, remember the crank turns twice for each revolution of the cams, I know this is basic and my apologies if I'm teaching you suck eggs but make sure you've not got the crank 180 degrees out.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
skyclad

Post by skyclad »

Is there a flywheel locking hole on this engine? If there is can I use it to set the crank position for timing belt.

Or can someone point me to a link that shows a snap of the 205 steel pully so I can work out roughly if my pulley has actually slipped by comparing the position of the hole with the woodruff key.

Ta muchly. :roll:
Pug 406L 1997
Transit Campervan 1990
spider

Post by spider »

They do not have the hole in the bellhousing / flywheel.

There's a casting on the block behind the crank pulley.

I would say it has slipped :( , a solid pulley may be the best option here (possibly something like a early 405 1.6 or something, although I'm not 100% sure if these have that, its been a long time)

In the garage I used to work at, we had a new pulley just for this purpose (so if it was out, we could temporarily fit that and then get it right) , as most customers would not want to buy a new one. I suppose I could of said we could not do the job without it (which is true) but I guess I am too honest.
Andy.

skyclad

Post by skyclad »

Thanks Andy... I'm going to nip out now and have a bash.
Pug 406L 1997
Transit Campervan 1990