Difference between hydractive/non hydractive strut tops

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Difference between hydractive/non hydractive strut tops

Post by Dommo »

Hi all.

I've got a perfect condition non hydractive strut top in my garage, and I'm not convinced the strut tops I have bought are 100% as the car makes a strange vibrating noise that can be felt throughout the car, and the steering wheel, and almost anything front suspension related. I can film the noise later on today as it does it all the time when you steer to a certain point, even when stationary.

So I was wondering if there is a difference between hydractive and non hydractive strut tops, apart from the thread size entering the strut top. Could I alter the thread size with a drill and tap (or is it a die?)?

Or if this is a common problem, what are the things to check? I've checked the power steering ram and it moves a little but not loads.

Thanks. Dom.
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Non hydractive stut tops have a tiny 3.5mm feed pipe whereas the hydractive ones have a big one as thick as your thumb.

Not sure if the strut diameter is different or not.

I wouldn't think you could change the size as the hole at the back will vary depending on the size of the pipe. Also the flare on the ends of the pipes will be very different too.

You'd need a matching strut top to do it really.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Apart from the pipe hole, I have a feeling Hydractive strut tops may allow a different castor angle although I may be confusing that with the rare non-PAS Xantia tops.

Strut diameters are the same and personally, I see no reason why a competent engineering firm should not be able to bore out and retap the pipe holes to suit hydractive pipes.

The castor angle question needs checking though.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Dommo
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Well my brother (handily) is a mechanical engineer, so if anyone could do it, he could. I was just not sure if something else internally is different.

You'd assume the non hydractive ones would have more castor due to leaning more than hydractive ones, however the hydractive ones are more 'sporty' and may have more castor for that reason.. It's hard to say!

How would I go about checking the castor angle?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

At the risk of sounding argumentative, I can't see any reason for PSA changing the castor angle.

A manufacture isn't likely to make those kind of assumptions (about how a car will be driven) based on it having a slightly wider range of suspension controllability. If it were changed, you'd expect "knock on" effects like different tyre wear patterns.

Having not had a Hydractive car, I don't know the pipe end details, other than to say it almost certainly needs reworking on a mill. Setup (fixtures and clamping) would take a few minutes but a skilled machinist wouldn't get a migraine doing the job.
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Re: Difference between hydractive/non hydractive strut tops

Post by davoxx »

So did anyone have a go at this?
why?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

davoxx wrote:So did anyone have a go at this?
Have a word with Chris570 :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

On XM strut heads the pipe entry has been successfully enlarged to take 10mm pipe.
I supplied the new non hydractive head and Dean got the engineering work done.
The suspension angles between hydractive and non-hydractive are altered by using different angled brackets for the front wishbone.

John
Xmexclusive
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

yes as John said ive done it, Fred the head drilled it out and fired a thread in for a drink, i would have a bash myself but not on a nos strut top.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

The castor angle on a Xantia is different between power steering models and non power steering models, according to this:
Page_06.jpg
Hard to believe there were ever any non power assisted steering models of the Xantia, but there you are!

As far as I know there are no differences in castor angle between hydractive and non hydractive models, however as well as the feed pipe diameter being different I seem to remember that the taper at the top of the strut shaft where it enters the strut top is at a different angle between hydractive and non hydractive units, thus making it impossible to mate a non hydractive strut top to a hydractive strut and vica versa. Unfortunately I no longer have access to the Citroen service manuals (from which the above scan was taken) to confirm this.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Mandrake wrote: Hard to believe there were ever any non power assisted steering models of the Xantia, but there you are!
You can tell the driver of such a car. Has arms like Popeye...
Jim

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

I know of someone else who has sucessfully drilled a 3.5mm feed head to larger hydractive for a VSX.. with GREAT sucess! The tops are identical - and being an alloys structure drill easilly...

In hindsight, this points that we do NOT need to keep actual VSX tops for re manufacture, but any number of 3.5mm feed tops will do for either models of cars..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Dommo
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

CitroJim wrote:
Mandrake wrote: Hard to believe there were ever any non power assisted steering models of the Xantia, but there you are!
You can tell the driver of such a car. Has arms like Popeye...
And empty cans of spinach on the back seat