Leaky Lucas injector pump, 1998 Berlingo 1.9 diesel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

IanBorsini

Leaky Lucas injector pump, 1998 Berlingo 1.9 diesel

Post by IanBorsini »

Hi all!
I`m trying to take my Lucas injector pump apart. I`ve removed all the parts which are marked yellow (see attached file DPC_XUD_101.jpg) My question to you guys is: How does the part, marked red, come apart? I would like to get to the seal number 134 in order to change it. I would appreciate very much if you could help me to get the car back on the road.

Best regards Ian

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ian, welcome to the forum :D

Ah ha, the rubik's cube of diesel pumps...

It can indeed be very puzzling.

First, remove the metering needle (127). Underneath the pump, remove the bolt (not shown) but 120 degrees away from 95 in the diagram above.

Now observe the timing devices each side of the pump spaced 120 degrees away from the bolt underneath. These and the bolt form a set of three fixings for the distributor head (125) and need to be removed complete.

Then the head should start to move. Beware, the head is VERY tight in the body and it helps to twist and pull. Don't lever it or force it.

be ready to catch all the bits of the HP pump and distributor shaft when it comes apart. At least you have the diagram to see how it all fits. Try to keep the rollers and saddles in the same positions as they came out when reassembling.

Good luck!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ian,

You might find this picture helpful as it shows the three head fixings a bit clearer...

The three are in the region of 179M, 219AM and 237M. You will see that the only bolt is the one at the bottom. The other two are actually timing/fuel adjuster/sensors.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
IanBorsini

Post by IanBorsini »

Thank you very much Jim!

With your help it was easy to take the Rubiks cube apart. :)
Reassembling went quiet easy, except from a needle and a spring which should go into a hole (41). The needle look almost like 40, except from the rear end. Do you know in which direction and in which order those 2 parts should go? (A bit confused since those parts are not in the drawing.) At the moment there is no fuel coming out of the injectors. Fuel is coming from 117A and from the air/water screw on the filter, when I prime the pump. Since I obviously need some fuel from the injectors :) , I think the needle/spring is causing some trouble.

Regs. Ian
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh yes, I know the one you mean Ian. It's part of the transfer pressure regulator and I once worked out what it was there for. AS far as I can recall, the needle was inserted backwards so that washer 42 allies a pressure to it.

I have a dead pump here and tomorrow evening I'll pop it apart and have a look-see for you... I'll post up some pictures of it.

The dead one I have was run on biodiesel and it's a real mess inside...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ian, as promised...

The plunger(s), Item 40, actually control fine fuelling control and move outwards from the distributor head under pressure controlled by the fuelling devices 95 and 72. The are assembled as the following illustrations show:

This shows the plunger and plastic cap:

The cap is plastic and is replaced when reassembling with a new one from the overhaul kit. It is placed in the lift-pump side of the distributor head with the indentation facing upwards as shown:

And driven gebntly home with a suitable drift until it rests flush.

The plunger is then driopped in the opposite side:

And gently pushed home until it is flush.

these are unlikely to be the cause of your problem par-se.

One thing that may be is if you have item 71 incorrectly fitted as it can obstruct the lift-pump delivery hole if fitted upside down.

Any more pictures of reassembly you need or anything you're not sure of, just shout...
Jim

IanBorsini

Post by IanBorsini »

Thank you very much again Jim!

The good news is; the car is running again and the pump is not leaking anymore :cd:

Without your help, I would have been "lost in space".
I hope :Santa: will bring you something very nice for Christmas :)

Best regards Ian
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's great news Ian :D :D
IanBorsini wrote: I hope :Santa: will bring you something very nice for Christmas :)

A V6 XM would be nice :wink: :lol:
Jim

ektor

Re: Leaky Lucas injector pump, 1998 Berlingo 1.9 diesel

Post by ektor »

I test the vacumm pump when the engine was turned on and it shows 8hg, I connect the vacuum tester between the diesel filter and fuel pump. when I turned off the engine, the vacuum decrased immediatly. I Want to know what kind of problem is this and how can I fix it. thank you very much
Maniru
New User

Post by Maniru »

Hi,

I have a question for CitroJim or anyone that knows it.

I have changed all the o-rings of my LUCAS DPC pump because a leak, but I don't know if the alignment of the shaft I made is the correct.

These are the photos of the shaft and the mark inside the hole where the shaft must be inserted. I must align the yellow marks together to respect the pump timing, isn't it?:

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:

I found this photo (where the correct mark i clearly visible) in another forum:

Hope it helps other users.

Greetings.
Last edited by Maniru on 18 Dec 2012, 16:53, edited 2 times in total.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Maniru,

It is a long time now since I've been inside a Lucas DPC and I've forgotten a lot of details but generally they will only assemble one way and I'd say what you say is absolutely correct.
Jim

Maniru
New User

Post by Maniru »

CitroJim wrote:Hi Maniru,

It is a long time now since I've been inside a Lucas DPC and I've forgotten a lot of details but generally they will only assemble one way and I'd say what you say is absolutely correct.
Thanks for the reply Jim.

There is not an unique and different tooth in the shaft to mount it in an unique way and avoid errors, only the mark shown in the photo. The shaft can be mounted in any angle you want and this is the problem.

I am afraid to start the car without be sure that the pump is mounted correctly. :|