xantia airbag warning light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stewart_c
My Cars:

xantia airbag warning light

Post by stewart_c »

Hi folks,
i recently became a wee bit frustrated with my 1.9tdsx estate,and i gave the steering wheel a bit of a thump.The next day the airbag warning light on the steerwheel came on & stayed on.On my return journey that night it went of as normal(approx 3 secs).Now it just stays on and i was going to investigate,but the HAYNES manual has put me of a bit, as it does not advise even putting a test meter onto the circuit.
Can anyone offer any words of wisdom on this subject,is it likley to inflate of it's own accord!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I don't think it will blow off by itself.
But there is large riscs it will blow off - if you do any mistakes on electrical testing. That's probably why Haynes do not write anything about testing it.
My advice would be proper garage testing/repair - if anything happens - they are legally insured [:p]
David Goddard
My Cars:

Post by David Goddard »

The bag won't go off by itself. When the warning light is on, it won't go off at all, but it will be an MOT failure!
Most likely fault is the electrical rotary connector behind the air bag. I had one go open circuit on a 306. It can be unplugged, removed and replaced. It's not easy to check as all air bag related connectors automatically short the contacts when unplugged.
The other fault can be the orange seat belt pretensioner connectors under the front seats. A clean with switch cleaning spray can fix these. The slightest poor connection trigers the air bag warning light. I have had this many times on the 306.
Haynes describes the safe removal and re-connection procedure for air bags.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the air bag light does NOT come into the MOT test.(not yet anyway).most likely faults are as david said.you could try cutting out the pre tensioner connectors & soldering the wires together to rule them out.
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

Be aware that if you choose to mess about with the wiring to any part of the safety system you should disconnect the battery and leave it 30 minutes to allow any residual charge in capacitors etc to disipate. This includes pulling any plugs to the seat belt pre-tensioners apart.
I wouldn't bother taking the airbag out as you won't be able to determine the cause very easily. I'd do the pre-tensioner plugs as suggested - have to do the Xsara ones occasionally - and see if that fixes it, if not get the fault code read to see what the cause is.
As said previously, an airbag warning light is an advisory on the MOT at present. Airbags are not a legal requirement to be fitted to any vehicle, they are simply a means to obtain a test pass in the regulatory impact test.
By the way, I'd strongly recommend anyone wanting to take out their frustrations on their car to avoid hitting the airbag - it has been known for them to go off under such circumstances, albeit rarely.
Adrian
stewart_c
My Cars:

Post by stewart_c »

Hi folk's
The m.o.t.is not a worry as it has not long passed,and it was an old recurring fault that caused me to loose the place(which i hope not to do again--on the air bag anyway)
I will give the pre-tensioner plugs a look at to see if that will help.
Thanks for the tips
Stewart_C