citroen c5 airbag fault and service light anyone help ??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gazzas c5
My Cars:

citroen c5 airbag fault and service light anyone help ??

Post by gazzas c5 »

when i first start the car it shows airbag fault and the service light appears on all the time,i have checked/cleaned all the connectors under the seats and where the passenger footwell is ,no avail light still on and airbag fault still shows up,what do i do??its starting to do my head in cheers folks!!
CITROEN C5 2.0 HDI VTR 04 REG
CITROEN C5 2.0 16V EXCLUSIVE 53 REG
CITROEN C5 2.0 HDI EXCLUSIVE 52 REG
CITROEN C5 2.2 HDI EXCLUSIVE AUTOMATIC 54 REG FACELIFT MODEL
CITROEN C5 1.6 HDI VTR 05 REG FACELIFT MODEL
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

You have three C5s?

I guess you have seen the other threads on here about this issue? And the one i started about having the same problem with my C5?

Mine was cured, and still is, by taking apart all of the connections under the passenger floor foam, giving them a good clean with electrical contact cleaner and refitting them a few times to ensure a good contact was made. I think positioned the larger of the plugs out of the way of the foam block, a bit higher up to avoid it being affected by passengers feet.

Does your warning come on all of the time or just occasionally? If it is a hit and miss thing does it come on after you have had a passenger in the car?

If its not the connectors then it might be something a bit more serious.

I did read in the Citroenian once about a CCC member having the same issue. He took his car to Citroen and they found a broken ire somewhere behind the glovebox which was soldered together, curing the fault.

However, if the exact info was not handed down at the dealers this could well be the wires under the glovebox (i.e. the passenger foot well) having to be soldered. Which is what a few people on here have done.

Have you had it on a Lexia to see if that sheds any more clues?
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
gazzas c5
My Cars:

citroen c5 airbag fault and service light

Post by gazzas c5 »

hi i have tried that under the passenger foot carpet but no avail,its quite annoying,do u know any one that could plug a lexia in my c5?cheers
CITROEN C5 2.0 HDI VTR 04 REG
CITROEN C5 2.0 16V EXCLUSIVE 53 REG
CITROEN C5 2.0 HDI EXCLUSIVE 52 REG
CITROEN C5 2.2 HDI EXCLUSIVE AUTOMATIC 54 REG FACELIFT MODEL
CITROEN C5 1.6 HDI VTR 05 REG FACELIFT MODEL
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Have a look at this sticky

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=29178

Looks like superloopy, Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear is your closest. You may find someone else is more convenient though. Then send them a PM.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

superloopy's Lexia is out of commission at the moment.
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Hi,

A common source of air bag problems on the C5 is the flexible link(s) between the steering wheel air bag and the fixed parts of the steering wheel (I think it connects into the com2000 unit).

The links are stiff plastic with traks laid on them (like a flexible printed circuit board). The wires/tracks crack and you can get permanent fault or an intermitent fault as the link flexes as you turn the steering wheel to a high lock position.

I have removed the air bag and soldered the lnk on my 2.2 a few times, eventually fitting a thin flexible jumper wire to bridge the crack.

Make sure you disconnect the battery and give sufficient time for any capacitors etc to discharge before removing the air bag.

Getting the air bag off the wheel is a bit of a fag as you have to release the two spring connections simultaneously or they jam !

Preparing and soldering the lin is also tricky as you cannot easily remove the link from the car and you have to work in the steering wheel cavity and access is limited.

regards

John