Re:

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RobinMasters

Re:

Post by RobinMasters »

They're not all bad. I used to use an excellent garage at the end of my road; 200 yards from my house.

I once had a completely immobile car; they walked down and pushed it. Had another car with a possible ECU fault which they couldn't diagnose; they didn't charge me for the two hours they spent looking at it. Every time I've had work done in there they've done it for the figure quoted or less. The stealer once told them a headlight was only available complete, I discovered (on a forum like this) that the adjusters could be got elsewhere on their own-when I told them his, and where to get them, they were genuinely interested and still happy to do the job.

I haven't used them for a while, touch wood, because I have a Citroen :P
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Robin, should this not be in the "Duff Garages" thread?

I have a local indy about the same distance from me. I've not used them since they refused to replace a steering ram on a 405 I had but recently they changed owners (bought out by tow of the mechanics that work there I believe) and now enjoy a good local reputation.

I'm about to test them on my daughters 206 that needs a CV boot gaiter for its MOT.

One good sign is they saw me in my Activa and knew what it was :D :D They like V6s too so it's looking good....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Jim
i hope if Robins gaitor is split wide open they dont just bung on one of those orible streachy boots,

as the will trap all the grit and c**p inside

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote:Jim
i hope if Robins gaitor is split wide open they dont just bung on one of those orible streachy boots,
Let's say I'll be annoyed if I have to do the job all over again but properly Malcolm.

They do know I'm not your average punter. Walking in wearing a pair of Citroen overalls sort of gave the game away..... As a result, I'm expecting them to do the job properly...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Overall's works a treat (usually) :D

Regarding gaiters, I always fitted the stretchy boots, (and Jim, as you know the 206 factory boots go hard and pop off, and are almost impossible to make them stay in place again)

Although when fitting them I would spend a bit of time cleaning the joint and then repacking with fresh cv grease. I would not (and I hope no one would!) simply pop a stretch boot over 'as-is' :o
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

some OE boots are thermo plastic,

i find if fitting the correct boot (non streachy) and with Ligarex they usualy stay put,

the only trouble with the smaller cit's the outer CV joint dont just knock off, so to fit an OE type boot you have to gently dismantle the bean can inner,

no probs when you have done a few,

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote: the only trouble with the smaller cit's the outer CV joint dont just knock off, so to fit an OE type boot you have to gently dismantle the bean can inner,
or use a cone...

Malcolm, all the problems you have outlined I'm only too aware of and partly because I have no Ligarex, I've entrusted the job to a Stealer...

I've been there many times before on Robyn's sister's old Clio and I don't want any reliability issues with Robyn's car at all...

It's very unusual for me to go to a Stealer but on this occasion...
Jim

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i know you are aware Sir Jim,

also to use a cone you need the streachy boots i just dont like them,

regards malcolm