Alloy Wheels

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CITMAN
My Cars:

Alloy Wheels

Post by CITMAN »

Where would be the best place to get some volcane alloys from. Would it be acceptable to get them of a crashed car i.e. breaker yard. One thing thats worries me about getting them off a crashed car though is whether they have been damaged ad they will disintegrate while driving.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Allot wheels are not only lighter than steel, they are stronger as well - hence their almost exclusive use on competition cars. If the wheels you are interested in run true (no wobbles of obvious cracks) I don't think you will have any trouble with them.
//NiSk
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

What he said. Never heard of a wheel that looks fine externally, can be balanced up and fitted perfectly etc but then turns out to have some structural fault that causes it to fail suddenly with no external indication.
Guru Meditation
Thompatruck
My Cars:

Post by Thompatruck »

I wouldn't worry, scrapyard alloys are usually sound, plus most ZX's i've seen, die from Medium damage front and rear shunts, wheels not touched. For reference I picked up a set with two good tyres at a scrappy for £60, other options are Loot.com and e-bay every now and again. If you're near the North east I can give you a heap of places to try, oh and i'm not sure but I think the bolts are a different size, so get them as well. Otherwise i've got a set you could have, hope that helps
Mark[:D]
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

It's not the bolt size that differs, its the fitting surface. Steel wheels have a conical fiitng surfasce whereas alloys have a flat surface - very important if you want to retain your wheels!
//NiSk
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

I've fitted alloys to my ZX td elation without any problems although they are not Volcane versions, as long as you have an insert in the centre of the rim to locate on the spigot and the correct wheel bolts to suit the rim, its not a problem.
sooty
andyg

Post by andyg »

If you are still looking for a set of Volcane (Speedline) wheels, then i have a full set available with tyres fitted. The tyres are not much cop but were left on to help protect the wheels a bit more.
The wheels have not been kerbed, they probably just need re-lacquering due to cowboy tyre fitters banging on the lead weights on the rims and damaging the lacquer instead of using the stick-on type.
"Offers on a postcard so to say"
Andy.