Brakes on 1.9D

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

r2d2bis

Brakes on 1.9D

Post by r2d2bis »

Hi Guys,
just a quickey,
1992 1.9D Zx 225000km, great car, great fun on windey roads, but boy it don't brake !
Main problem is Bendix calipers seizing up ! Which creates one pad wearing out, a bent disk, and one wheel braking !
Not handy if ya need to dump the anchors on !
Question :
Can I replace the Bendix/Solid setup with the 1.9TD Girling/Vented Setup with no hassle ?
Any advice would be helpful ;.)
(Brake hose diameters, caliper bolts, hub setup....)
Cheers
Long live the Zx !
Jon

Post by Jon »

Off the top of my head............
You could uprate to Girling calipers from the TD easily, you'll just need the caliper bolts to match. The vented discs are a straight swap.
The brake hoses are the same on all ZX's apart from the 16 valve so no problem there.
The master cylinder should be OK provided that the one on the car is stamped "20" or "20.6".
The hubs are the same on all ZX's apart from the 1.4, so no problems there either.
For even better braking use Xantia/Berlingo larger vented discs (266mm) with Berlingo Girling pads and calipers, bolt straight on.
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

I'm looking into this conversion myself as my brakes are useless-poor pedal feel, low overall stopping power. I went to change the fluid the other day as it's looking very very dark brown in the reservoir to find that the offside front caliper's bleed nipple had been rounded off so I can't even change the fluid.
Guru Meditation
btwellz

Post by btwellz »

If you upgrade to the bigger vented discs like of the volcane you would need the 14" rims as the 13" wont fit over the disc. I have done this with great results.
r2d2bis

Post by r2d2bis »

Hi guys,
thanks ever so much for your advice.
I got an answer from my local breaker who told me that the hubs are the sams on all D Zx's. So caliper exchange is easy.
I'll think I'll go for the Std Girling/Vented off the TD even though I have 14'' alloys off the Saxo VTS.
FYI upgrading to 185/60x14 from the spindly 165/70x13 made an extraordinary differnce to the handling too.
Cheers guys
Speak to you soon!
Steven from France