206 lock problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

206 lock problem

Post by jgra1 »

A bizzare one.. was just speaking to a guy at work, and he said his car switched off at 40mph for the third time, over the weekend.. at first I didnt pay much attention but..

I pried a bit more and he said the steering went solid too (not hard to turn, impossible to turn) :shock:

He is quite laid back, but I suggested the Ignition lock could be the only culprit.. and that in an example scenario, he could be changing lanes at 80 when it happened :shock:

I can honestly say I have never heard of this ever happening to any car..
I guess a second hand lock, with corresponding key and a PP session may be the cheapest way? car is a 51 1.6 petrol I think..
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Probably the BSI shut the electronics down for a few seconds. This is the downside of multiplexing. :(

That would explain the steering too (engine not running = no power steering) , bear in mind it still works will just be very heavy as you are compressing the ram effectively without any hydraulic assistance.

A diagnostic session may pick something up.

A friend had a 307 a few years ago (from memory it was a 52 plate) brought new, and that would do this but only occasionally (as in about once every three months or so) , no one was able to fix it.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

hmm Andy the first thing I said to him was a shut engine = heavy steering.. he was adamant that the steering would not budge, but went a degree or two each way aka steering lock on ..

and a 51 206, I would guess only partial multiplex? maybe wrong though..
spider

Post by spider »

jgra1 wrote:hmm Andy the first thing I said to him was a shut engine = heavy steering.. he was adamant that the steering would not budge, but went a degree or two each way aka steering lock on ..
Impossible for steering lock to function if key is turned to pos 1 or 2. ;) , I have been asked this before, people used to say their brakes had gone when their engine stailled (not Peugeot's specifically) as I could not get them to understand the concept of lack of servo assistance etc. I do believe it was just failed power steering in your friends case, unless of course they turned the key all the way back to 'off'
jgra1 wrote:
and a 51 206, I would guess only partial multiplex? maybe wrong though..
They started at 'X' plate with partial multiplexing (lights and wipers mainly) then did the whole lot shortly afterwards. These partial ones use standard switchgear on the column.

Quick way to tell if you are fully multiplexed (I would say 95% chance you are, unless this car was stood unregistered for ages or was an import) is either if you have a Com 2000 fitted for the lights / wiper switches. :)
Andy.

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

:D thanks..

I think the key has to be physically out of the lock for the detent to go into the column >?,, I just wonder if it could be a failing lock..

at the moment he doesnt know if he had the clutch in, I suspect he did which points to a stalled stationary engine and heavy steering :twisted:

I think the worst I had was a 20 mile journey in the xant with no aux.. v v scary, and that was really heavy steering ;) .. thats another story...

anyway.. will find out more..
spider

Post by spider »

Depressing clutch = stalled engine which as you say will cause that.

I think the key may have to be completely removed, although I'm not 100% sure to be honest on that. Seems to depend on the lock manufacturer and type of lock.

The pin itself cannot actually 'move' upwards if the key is turned to pos 1 or 2 as its shielded to stop this happening in the event of something breaking in the lock itself (think of how when the steering lock is on, sometimes you have to 'wiggle' the wheel left / right so you can turn the key to get it off) :)
Andy.