Antistall

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Antistall

Post by spider »

205DT (XUD7T) , Lucas pump. Bit of an odd one this.

All of a sudden (as in today) its acting as though someone has wound the antistall a turn. Sudden deceleration causes a stall, but only until operating temp.

A quick check with a clear pipe shows no bubbles, the idle is smooth anyway.

The cold start advance (cable) is fine, it pulls it up to its stop (it still stalled though)

Idle when cable released / warm engine is around 875 , fast idle is around 1000 (nearer 1100 when its really cold) so that's enough.

Antistall has not moved (I put a blob of stuff on them after I adjust any of the pumps adjustments) but I've not touched it for couple of years.

The only thing I can think of is yesterday I put in £20 of fuel, so I wonder if I have some dodgy fuel perhaps. Any thoughts ? :) , although perhaps it will not repeat again.

Just to point out, it stalled every time I slowed down until it was warm so that's about a dozen or so stalls.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's odd Andy :?

There's nothing in the pump, really, that can let go and suddenly cause this. All the anti-stall does is keep some bias on the throttle plate to prevent it overshooting backwards under the influence of the governor springs on the over-run. The adjustment is actually a camplate and forms part of the emergency stop mechanism.

The only things I can think is that if you have tried out the emergency stop lately and it has not properly returned to its resting position (i.e. its tab resting against the anti-stall adjustment screw), or.

Under cold running, with a pull on the fast idle lever, this has the effect of rising the anti-stall threshold along with idle speed. I don't suppose the nipple on the end of the cold idle cable from the waxstat has slipped has it? That could cause it.

Else that, as you say, a dose of bad fuel. You've not been to a certain supermarket recently have you?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider

Post by spider »

Thanks Jim.

No its not moved at all (as in it's where it was) , I thought perhaps there was something internal that could cause it, but could not think how.

Not touched the stop lever for a while, it does work properly (I did replace the levers about 4 years ago, all of them with some slightly less rusty ones) but there's no fault that I can see.

Yes, it was a certain supermarket last night :oops: , although I only put half a tank in. I may put some in from elsewhere tomorrow now to see.

The cold start stat is a Renault one (this has the advantage of shutting off a bit quicker, but not 'that' quick) , I've run a vehicle without one, so I know that could be confused for the same thing ;) , it also has the advantage of when its released it does stay off for ages, but this was the first start of the day when this happened.

I started up, waited about 10 seconds (always do) , pulled out, got up to about 20 mph if that. Stopped to give way, engine cut out :D

Is fine when its warm, I'm going to have to put it down to fuel I think, as we both are in agreement there cannot really be much else amiss. Hopefully :D
Andy.

spider

Post by spider »

Just to add, before fitting that Renault unit (just before I joined here actually) , I mulled over an idea of fitting the choke cable and using that as a cold start assistant (simply connecting it to where the stat would go) but decided that it was not needed, tis not a '50s engine derv after all. :)
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I like the idea of a "Choke" for control of fast idle Andy and of course the 205 is just old enough to have had a real choke knob on the dash for some of the petrol models :D

Fingers crossed a change of fuel sorts it :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider

Post by spider »

Yes I saw some old VW Caddy pickup had one ('C' or 'D' plate I think it was), looked factory fitted. Same thing just cable was attached to where the stat cable would normally live.

It could be useful I guess and as you say the 205's all have the facility for it (so no holes to drill) :)

Back on topic, hopefully some more fuel tomorrow will cure it, its liveable anyway (I suppose I could give the antistall a half turn if it annoys me too much)
Andy.

spider

Post by spider »

CitroJim wrote:Fingers crossed a change of fuel sorts it :wink:
Some (better?) fuel added ;) , although with it already being warm from going to get the fuel I am not sure. But I think it will be OK now, just bad luck I guess last time.
Andy.