2000 hdi 2ltr Head, Core Plug

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

acrowot
My Cars:

2000 hdi 2ltr Head, Core Plug

Post by acrowot »

Core plug underneath no. 4 injector (Cambelt end) has anyone ever changed this with the engine in situ, mine has a small(at the moment ) jet of water squirting from it, it is just behind the Common Rail. Any tips most gratefully recived.
C5 HDI 110 SX 122000 ESTATE
C5 HDI 2.2 2003 EXCLUSIVE ESTATE 151000 MILES
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Had the same problem but one in the middle number 2 or 3. The part was cheap even from the main stealer - 53p I think. The secret is to hit one side with a drift and hammer.

This is from http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_change_a_core_plug

There are a few vids on Youtube as well

To remove a core plug take a punch and a hammer, and knock on one side of the coreplug, until it turns in the hole. Then grab hold of the other side with a pair of pliers. Twist and pull to get it out. Be extremly careful not to knock the plug into the engine block. You might not get it back out, and it might get stuck in such away that you won't get a new core plug in. You might want to bore a hole in the plug, so you can grab the plug with pliers or pry it loose with a screwdriver through the hole.
Estimated time used to remove a core plug the first time you do it is 1,5 hours, in addition to the time need to make room to work on the plug and removing antifreeze.
To install a new core plug, get a socket that fits exactly inside the plug (which might be hard to find) and use an extension and a hammer, to drive it back in the hole. Take extreme care to make sure the plug is driven straight into the engine block. If it's not straight a leak will occur.
Last edited by rory_perrett on 04 Oct 2010, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Try this video for your edification -

acrowot
My Cars:

Post by acrowot »

Thanks for your reply Rory, I was wondering if it was possible to do this without too much removal of things in the way, it looks like maybe the HP pump may have to come out..
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi, I had the same problem with my xantia HDI, I just removed the cables for the glow plugs (after getting new core plugs!), screwed in a large screw, and with a claw hammer just pulled the old one out. Tapped a new one in using a good fitting socket and extention bar. refit cables and job done. 30 mins!!!
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
acrowot
My Cars:

Post by acrowot »

wrinklet1 wrote:Hi, I had the same problem with my xantia HDI, I just removed the cables for the glow plugs (after getting new core plugs!), screwed in a large screw, and with a claw hammer just pulled the old one out. Tapped a new one in using a good fitting socket and extention bar. refit cables and job done. 30 mins!!!
Hi Wriklet1 was this on the HDI engine the common rail and the pump seem to be in the way on mine.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

yes it was on my Xantia HDI 90bhp
the wiring rail just look at it and look at the fixing bolts. and if there is a fuel pipe in the way just disconnect it would be a good idea disconnecting the battery though. its really easy

Take some photo's before you start too
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
acrowot
My Cars:

Post by acrowot »

wrinklet1 wrote:yes it was on my Xantia HDI 90bhp
the wiring rail just look at it and look at the fixing bolts. and if there is a fuel pipe in the way just disconnect it would be a good idea disconnecting the battery though. its really easy

Take some photo's before you start too
Thanks for your help. there just does not seem much room for swinging the hammer, I will give it a go when I get the plug, I do always take pics as I go along.