Temparature of a coolant in Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

akojic
My Cars:

Temparature of a coolant in Xantia

Post by akojic »

10 days ago thermostat was replaced in my Xantia 1.8i 8V. Temparature of a coolant when motor is warmed stays under 81/82°C since then. Prior to mentioned replace, working temparature was around 90°C. During summer, ventilator (one in this type of Xantia) works prety much 'cause daily temperature in this part of Europe is more than 35°C. When I turn off the engine ventilator works for addtional 30 - 40 seconds after 30 km journey (back from work.) It seems to me when once it turns on - never stops untill I turn off engine. Is this possible? Any comment on coolant temperature - effect on petrol consumption and motor life![?]
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

According to the book the stat opening temperatures are 89 C for models up to 1997 and 83 C for 1997 onwards.
Have you got aircon, they can run the fan constantly when contacts in wiring connectors or the bitron temp. sensor get oxidised.
Dave
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think there has been a change in thermostat spec over the years for these cars.
When we got our ZX diesel last year there was obviously a problem with the thermostat. I purchased a new one from a well know factor not associated with this forum and found it to be an 80c one. The box markings covered the car but unfortunately the sealing ring was too thin. I went to another factor who has the sealing ring and he checked the spec with his books which agreed that it should be low 80's. I mentioned itto a knowledgeable mechanic who does some work on our cars and he said that other makers had dropped the pemperature as well and he thought that 80c was much better for the engine than 90c
Its running very nicely at 80c, and gets to that temperature quite quickly.
jeremy
surfer
My Cars:

Post by surfer »

I bought a new thermostat from a Citroen dealer for my '96 Activa and that was marked '83' so as Jeremy said, the specs for these items have probably been revised at some point.
As it often states:
'The manufacturer reserves the right to alter specifications at any time without prior notice.'
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

I have a 94 1.9D. The temperature never seems to rise much above 60-70 on the guage. I presume I have the low temp thermostat fitted. The only problem with this is the heater output is not very good.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If temp does not come above 60 your thermostat has failed open - consider getting it replaced - about 80 should be the min normal running temp. This will improve the heater output also.
Richard
akojic
My Cars:

Post by akojic »

My Xantia doesn't have an A/C. I have talked to manager of service yesterday and he told me that they have replaced foulty one thermostat with one that is original part for Peugeot. I didn't ask for whic particular model of Peugeot. In Haynes is written that thermostat might be manualy set for different temperatures (???), but in order to do so I need to take it from his housing, am I wright? Dave is it easy to check if contacts in wiring connectors or bitron temp. sensor is not in best condition, and what would be your suggestion? Thanks
mark_l

Post by mark_l »

On my car (see below)normal riding temperature is appr 70 and it rise up to 100 on higher load or speed of rotation. The rising takes 20-30 seconds.
All the time I thought that it depends of temperature gage location.
Have I replace thermostat too?
What temperature must to be on the clock on my car under normal conditions? (Appr. 30 deg.C with/without AC). What deviations are normal?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Being a bit puzzled reading about you owners with newer cars having these engine temp problems, here goes my usual engine thermostat test :
From engine cold - (if A/C : turn it off)
Start engine - let idle - grip by hand the top radiator hose to sense the temperature.
The first couple of minutes - the top hose should stay cool.
When engine reaches normal working temp - the hose should very sudden rise in temp - literally within seconds - to such temp you have to remove your hand.
After few minutes the fan(s) should cut-in (low speed on dual speed systems).
This indicates the thermostat is working ok.
If the temp continues to rise slowly from start over lengthy time on the hose - the thermostat is defective.
If the radiator top hose never gets hot (and engine may begin stuttering) - the coolant level may be low - or an airlock may be present in the cooling system.
In one rare case (a Volvo340) I found a stuck closed thermostat deeming this poor car a crap engine by a (brand) garage.
If the fan(s) never cuts in on a hot radiator top hose - or on 2-speed systems the fan(s) only cuts in at hi speed - the fan(s) control sensor in the radiator - or related relays/cabling - are at fault. Very rare the fan(s) are at fault.
akojic
My Cars:

Post by akojic »

It seems that fan on my Xantia never stops once when cut in! Maybe it is because of hot, summer teperatures.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Hmm - just noticed this thread after finally finding and fitting a temp gauge to my 1.9D BX. On the second sensor (just couldn't believe the first which was reading 110 with no other signs of overheating) it settles down to a steady 90. Guess this is a bit high. On the other hand it also looks like radiator-flushing time again... (bottom of rad is stone cold).
David