Wheel bearing time...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantia2.0
My Cars:

Wheel bearing time...

Post by Xantia2.0 »

Well the time has come when the front O/S wheel bearing has gotten as bad as I will drive it with. The whole car shakes around while driving, the noise is extremely loud, and the steering wheel vibrates VEEERRRRRRRYYYYY bad when driving over 50MPH. I did some checks to make sure it was just the wheel bearing causing those problems, and it is. The wheel is barely turnable by hand while jacked up! Feels like the brakes are binded on (though they're not). Is there anything else I should change/check while I'm getting to the bearing ?
1998 Citroen Xantia 2.0 16V I4 with 148,200 miles on the clock. Bought it with 123,000.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That one sounds bad!

Be aware that youll need a hydraulic press to extract the old bearing and to install the new one.

Don't believe the BoL. You'll need at least 7 tons of sustained pressure to extract the old bearing...

How exactly did you determine it was the bearing and not something else? I'm amazed the car was still drivable if the bearing is that bad. Normally, they give lots of notice of impending failure, starting off as a gentle hum...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'd suspect a CV joint! Or wheel bolts, but that's usually obvious...
Xantia2.0
My Cars:

Post by Xantia2.0 »

CitroJim wrote:That one sounds bad!

Be aware that youll need a hydraulic press to extract the old bearing and to install the new one.

Don't believe the BoL. You'll need at least 7 tons of sustained pressure to extract the old bearing...

How exactly did you determine it was the bearing and not something else? I'm amazed the car was still drivable if the bearing is that bad. Normally, they give lots of notice of impending failure, starting off as a gentle hum...
It did start off as a gentle hum! :lol:
1998 Citroen Xantia 2.0 16V I4 with 148,200 miles on the clock. Bought it with 123,000.
VertVega
My Cars:

Re: Wheel bearing time...

Post by VertVega »

Xantia2.0 wrote:... Is there anything else I should change/check while I'm getting to the bearing ?
I would suggest checking condition and thickness of the front brake disks.
If one of them needs changing then you should remember to change both sides.
CitroJim wrote:... Don't believe the BoL. You'll need at least 7 tons of sustained pressure to extract the old bearing...
That's true, when the front wheel bearing of mine was in the press, it "banged" when the press meter was pointing at 12 tons :shock:
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
Xantia2.0
My Cars:

Post by Xantia2.0 »

I had the disks and pads changed a few weeks ago so don't have to check them.