'00 Xantia drop

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LaLinea
My Cars:

'00 Xantia drop

Post by LaLinea »

When I start my car overnight and after work the rear drops down and come up again. Accumulator or the damper(?)spheres? No outside leak whatsoever.

'00 Xantia 1.8i Millenium estate
'96 BMW 328iA Coupe

Youtube in Myspace, and I'll Google your Yahoo ;)
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

If you have loaded/unloaded the car with the engine not running, it's quite normal for the rear to go up and down a bit when you restart.

Otherwise it's probably time for a new accumulator sphere - definitely if the tick rate (when the suspension has stopped moving) at idle is less than 20 seconds.

Try the rear bounce test - with the engine off, put some weight (a passenger) in the back; the rear will go down, but should come back up again within 30 seconds.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
LaLinea
My Cars:

Post by LaLinea »

So... I have to save for three spheres at the rear end then because it feels very hard at the back, never been changed before.

Tought Xantia's dont rise with the engine turned off?

'96 BMW 328iA Coupe

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sounds like the rear corner spheres are flat then. They do cause the problem you have when they are badly down on pressure or ruptured...

When changing them, follow the guide in the SuperSticky, they need special handling..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Near flat anti sink sphere can cause this too....
Richard W
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

LaLinea wrote:So... I have to save for three spheres at the rear end then because it feels very hard at the back, never been changed before.
In a word "Yes". Should be nice and soft at the back. Driving around with little movement in the rear suspension is going damage the rear suspension.
Tought Xantia's dont rise with the engine turned off?
Yes they should; a sign that the hydraulics are in good condition. When filling up with fuel, the car should slowly sink; 25-30L should be enough to 'trip' the height control valve so the car starts to rise even though more fuel (weight) is going in. It something to watch for every time you fill up.

The boot test is a bit more demanding: With the engine off, sit in/on the back end of the car. It should sink quite a long way. After about 20 seconds it should start to rise - all the way to normal height; then get out/off. It should immediately rise, then after about 20 seconds settle back to normal. You should be able to repeat the whole cycle at least once more (using accumulator pressure).

If it doesn't sink or rise much - corner spheres flat(ish).

If it wont rise at least twice - new accumulator and/or anti-sink need changing.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
LaLinea
My Cars:

Post by LaLinea »

Thanks for reply.

Noticed the front adjusts when i get in/out of the car so...

Im maby make a thread when I get so far
'96 BMW 328iA Coupe