Xantia estate split rear seats: 60 side jammed down by belt.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Thregwort
My Cars:

Xantia estate split rear seats: 60 side jammed down by belt.

Post by Thregwort »

The larger (o/s) portion of the 60/40 split rear seats on my Xantia estate is jammed in the down (horizontal) position. No amount of pulling will release it - the seat belt itself is holding it, and will not release.

I've searched around for a solution, but can find nothing specifically Xantia, although it seems to be a common enough problem on Vauxhall mpvs. Main dealer job apparently - ouch!

The seat back is held so close to the floorpan that you can't reach the belt or the mountings.

I would be very grateful to hear if anyone else has experienced this, and, if they were able to resolve the issue, could they please pass on their knowledge.

Thanks in advance.
Citroen Xantia 1.8L petrol estate. 1996, 8v, 122k, mine for 11 trouble-free years...apart from the comedy electrics, of course!!
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

yes yes yes i have and it quite possibly the most annoying thing the car has ever done.

you can just about squeeze a 17mm spanner in there to undo the bolt.
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
Simon99
My Cars:

Post by Simon99 »

Started to experience this regularly on my Xantia estate. If you can lift the seat up 6 inches or so you can just about get a socket on the anchor bolt to release the belt. Think its about a 16mm or 17mm bolt head. May have to heave a bit to get it high enough but only really compresses the foam. Have taken to tying a loose knot in the belt when I'm going to lower the seats as this can often be released when it jams down.
2002 C5 2.0 16v Estate
2001 C5 2.2hdi Hatchback
1998 Xantia 1.9td Estate
Thregwort
My Cars:

Hah! That's a relief, I'm not alone...

Post by Thregwort »

Oh, thanks guys - I was worried I might be the only one with this problem...
You both seem to be saying more or less the same action, I think?

So I should squash up the spongey seat upholstery to around a 6" gap when I should be able to see the head of the 17/18mm bolt that screws down into the floorpan captive nut, and then unscrew it until the belt anchor plate just falls loose, and the seat back can be righted.

I'll give it a go - should be good for me, as you have both had success.

Many, many thanks.
Citroen Xantia 1.8L petrol estate. 1996, 8v, 122k, mine for 11 trouble-free years...apart from the comedy electrics, of course!!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've had this happen when i had an estate. In the worst place too, picking up four young passengers on a wet and stormy night... They had to stand and wait outside the car until I'd fixed it.

I had about three inches of space and just managed it.

The problem is caused by the belt retracting too far into the seat due to the button on the belt slipping past the molding on the top of the seat.

The moulding should be inspected and checked to ensure it is correctly fitted and that the slot has not widened so much that it allows the button to pass. My cause was that the moulding had become detached from the top of the seat. properly replaced, no further problems.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Thregwort
My Cars:

So that's why it happens...

Post by Thregwort »

I remember noticing that plastic button thing on the belt - so that's the way to stop it in the future: maybe drill a hole in the button and insert a small nut and bolt should stop it happening again.

I assume, CitroJim, that you used the same method as the other guys, with a 17/18mm wrench on the mounting bolt to free the anchor plate?