ZX Dashboard lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

timbo2410

ZX Dashboard lights

Post by timbo2410 »

Hi all, I have a Citroen ZX that has a few bulbs out behind the speedo. I've looked at a few forums to see how best to sort these out. Now I can get to the two screws without having to take off the steering wheel shrouds, so I think that will be the easy part. I am worried about the speedo connection though. How does it come off before removing the instrument panel. The Haynes manual is as clear as mud on that part. Also, how many bulbs do I need to replace the lot? I have been told by Citroen dealership that I will need 10 bulbs and also 10 bulb holders. If I get it done through them it will cost £130 approx. for parts and labour. Any thoughts?
Gingerposer
My Cars:

Post by Gingerposer »

I did this job a few years ago on my zx td. I hope you have small hands!

To make it easier, lower the steering column to its lowest position before starting the dash removal. You will have to try to tilt the clocks towards you or to one side to reach the speedo connector, if I remember correctly this is the type where you apply pressure to two lugs on the connector, which fits into the centre of the back of the clocks.

I think there is a separate connector for wiring.

The bulbs themselves are a piece of cake to replace but do them all - cos guaranteed you will just have replaced one or two, got the dash back then spot another couple of dud bulbss!
You probably need about a dozen to do every bulb. A good source of the bulbs is ebay - do a search for fruit machine bulbs, you will probably pick up 100 in a sheet for a few quid.
Or if you send me an sae I will send you however many you need!

Ainslie
timbo2410

Post by timbo2410 »

Thanks for the heads up :D
I've done a quick search and I think I've found them. They are 286 capless ... does that sound right? Got a site selling them for 95 pence each and any colour you want ....
I was more worried about getting the speedo cable off and on :oops:
timbo2410

Post by timbo2410 »

Gingerposer
My Cars:

Post by Gingerposer »

aye that's them - but 99p each? that's daylight robbery! the going rate on ebay if you search for fruit machine bulbs is about ten p per bulb if you buy a sheet of 50 or 100, which is what I did. Unless you want coloured bulbs of course. If you are happy with clear, pm me your address and I'll send you a dozen free.

Forgot to ask, what is your location? Someone might be near you and able to help with the job.

Ainslie
timbo2410

Post by timbo2410 »

Hmmm hadn't really considered a coloured bulb ...... have to think about that one .... do I need to get the bulb holder as well? That's what the Citroen dealership said ...
Gingerposer
My Cars:

Post by Gingerposer »

Going from memory, the bulbs in the instrument cluster are held in by holders, which the spade bulbs simply push/pull into, so changing is easy. Twist holder a little, remove holder, remove bulb, replace bulb etc. You may find that some holders are empty or that some holes which look like they should have holders, don't have holders in. I think this is because of the different specs available i.e. rev counter etc - so I would just change every bulb you can find, one at a time, or you could have a nightmare job if you get the holders in the wrong places.
I think the only bulb which needs to be a specific colour would be the low fuel warning light, cos it may have a yellow film in front of it to give the correct colour to the driver - if you change it you may not notice running low on fuel (yes, been there, done that, oops). This could also apply to the high temp warning light, so best to find out where these are located before making any colour changes.

Ainslie
timbo2410

Post by timbo2410 »

Ha never even thought of that. I thought those warning lights would have been a neon light or something a little more gauranteed to work and never fail ... Hmmm that means I may have to get some yellow or red as well. I've got the bog standard ZX 1.9 D with no rpm or anything else other than the speedo, fuel gauge and clock.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

The green effect (assuming its green) is done with perspex in the panel (the same with the reds / yellows, again perspex)

Changing bulbs to colours other than clear will be interesting, (colour shading)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
timbo2410

Post by timbo2410 »

Ummmm so where does that leave me ... are all lights clear bulbs then? Including the pre-heater, oil pressure charge light etc etc ? And is it just the low fuel warning that is amber in colour?
If the warning lights are behind coloured perspex, then they will have to have clear bulbs, the lights that illuminate the speedo, clock, odometer can be whatever colour I wanted I suppose.

Oh forgot to ask, does anybody know exactly how many bulbs are needed?
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

all lights are clear Tim :D ... some people do change the illumination ones, say to blue, to give a different look, quite nice I think although I haven't done it..

leave the warning ones clear..
timbo2410

Post by timbo2410 »

Hmmm think I will stick to clear, you wouldn't happen to know how many I need would you?
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

take Ginger up on his offer ;) I reckon 2 or 3 is all you need, ....

if your in a rush halfrauds may sell them with the bayonet base for about £1 each :shock:

i took my xantia one apart recently and found a handful gone or in stupid places for things I didnt have, eg water-in-deisel ;)
timbo2410

Post by timbo2410 »

Ok will do, Ginger, if the offer is still open I'll take you up on it :D
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

I may try the blue soon, as the sony stereo is blue and it would match nicely.. will take before and after pics ;)

although, the green lenses are already there, will probably end up with yellow or something ;)