First xantia TD clutch change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pridz
My Cars:

First xantia TD clutch change

Post by pridz »

Well chaps I am readying myself for my first P reg xantia td sx clutch change,I have spent some time searching through the archives for all the help,ideas and tips to try and build my confidence and ready myself.The clutch has done 178k.Over the last twelve months it has got progressively worse,so what I am after from all those who have completed this task is anything they would have done,should have done or done differently if they were to do it again.Thanks very much.Pridz
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hi Pridz, a fair few of us have done this.. I will come back to you later.. but it's not a terrible job.. an engine hoist useful if your working alone (to hold box through the engine bay)

change release arm bushings and driveshaft outer seals while your at it..

John
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I've never done a clutch change myself, but if you need a hand I'm fairly central in Devon and willing to help out if I can :)
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

The two hardest parts are: Removing the PIN out of the clutch release arm that the cable operates on, this is so the release bearing forks can come out from behind the release bearing....because of the PULL clutch design...

The second can either fall out, or sieze in place... thats the drivers side Half shaft bearing once the hocky sick bolts are out the way....

Its easyest to remove BOTH drive shafts, it helps with manouverin the box - you do not have to remove the box, Ive found with two jacks, one to suport the engine the other you can use to support the Box, one edge on the subframe the other on the jack, you can then just get your hand in to remove and refit the clutch... bit be warned ITS DAMM TIGHT!!!

Remove the Gearbox mount and spigot on the box, then watch the two hydraulic pipes that run just under the chassis run...

Ive done a few now, but I still find it a bit fiddley, and the box is damm heavy...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Re: First xantia TD clutch change

Post by flying clutchman »

pridz wrote:Well chaps I am readying myself for my first P reg xantia td sx clutch change,I have spent some time searching through the archives for all the help,ideas and tips to try and build my confidence and ready myself.The clutch has done 178k.Over the last twelve months it has got progressively worse,so what I am after from all those who have completed this task is anything they would have done,should have done or done differently if they were to do it again.Thanks very much.Pridz
It's not too difficult apart from getting the pin out of the clutch arm. These can seize in after a few years. The stupid plastic cable and pipe guide is a pain as well. (throw away) When you put the box back in be patient and make sure you've engaged the arms of the clutch fork before you push the box home. (If you don't speak french the words HAUT and BAS mean high and low. they're stamped on the bearing clip). Once you've tightened the bellhousing bolts up put a screwdriver in the clutch arm pin hole. you should be able to waggle the shaft a tiny amount if it's in properly. If it's rock solid it's wrong!