diesel tank pick up pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sijrayner
My Cars:

diesel tank pick up pump

Post by sijrayner »

c5 2.2 hdi, won't start again. had the AA bloke out and he managed to get it going but as soon as he left i switched it off and it won't start again. he said he thinks it is down to a faltering fuel tank pick up pump. now i assume that is the one accesible under the rear offside seat. i did remove the fuel filter and cleaned it out so was wondering if i needed to prime the fuel line or something as all i did was put the filter back and screw down the lid. any help re either how to prime system if we reckon that may be it or what to do re pick up pump tks.
why oh why did i buy a C5.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It should prime when you turn the ignition key to the second position - you should hear the lift pump run for a few seconds then stop.

You could disconnect the feed to the fuel filter and direct it into a suitable container then turn the key for a few seconds and check that there is fuel being delivered from the tank.
Don't hang on too long, it's surprising how much fuel it shoves out, as I discovered when I failed to reseat the filter cap correctly :(
sijrayner
My Cars:

Post by sijrayner »

the aa bloke said something about the fuel filter lid rising when you turn the key to second position, i don't see how as the lid is firmly screwed down, or should i not have screwed it on so tightly.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Could it be cross threaded ? , that might explain why it appears to 'move'
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
sijrayner
My Cars:

Post by sijrayner »

not cross threaded as it is seated properly, i think he meant it is supposed to rise a little. just been out and turned key to 2nd position, but hear no sound from lift pump even with rear seat up and cover off. i read somewhere about removing pump and clearing it out, maybe that is worth a try ?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If it is the same as mine then it is a very rigid affair*. I found it quite hard to get it tight enough to seal, chucked diesel all over when I first started it.

The diesel filter, that is.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

sijrayner wrote:the aa bloke said something about the fuel filter lid rising when you turn the key to second position, i don't see how as the lid is firmly screwed down, or should i not have screwed it on so tightly.
I replaced my fuel filter only yesterday. I don't understand this about the filter lid rising. My lid was on tight - so much so it needed a lot of leverage to get started. Also the the top needs tightening back to the same spot otherwise the fuel lines won't connect. Most important that a new O ring is used. Mine was beginning to show cracking.

On previous ocassions I've found it difficult to get the engine running again. This time I used the ignition key on then off several times and also used the primer bulb. Started immediately.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I think he was probably referring to the fact that as the pump runs at more than 3 bar, the filter (which is plastic) can actually be seen to swell as the pump primes and pressurises it!
Richard W
sijrayner
My Cars:

Post by sijrayner »

going to try to prime the fuel system. the manual i have is for a 2.0 c5 as haynes don't do a manual for the 2.2. it says i need to connect a hose to the fuel filter outlet, then bleed off some fuel i presume by turning the key to 2nd position. there are three connectors on top of the housing, can anyone tell me which one is the outlet pipe. standing at the front of the car there is one on the left and 2 on the right hand side, one of the right hand side ones is connected to a clear pipe the other 2 are black pipes.