What's this switch?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichG
My Cars:

What's this switch?

Post by RichG »

I have just spent 3 hours replacing the water temperature instrument panel light on my 1998 Xantia 1.9TD Estate by dismantling the sterring wheel, column surrounds etc. I can assure you that it is not possible to replace an instrument bulb without removing the steering wheel as another forum member had suggested.
Whilst removing the switch panel in front of the instruments I noticed that there were 2 wiring connectors on it. One connects to the far right hand switch which is for disabling the ultrasonic sensors but the other one was connected to a switch blank just to the left (the middle one of three switch positions on the RHS) of this switch.
As the wires are there (there are about 5 of them on the connector block) does anybody know what they are for? The Xantis manual does not list it.
Thanks
Richard
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

If your car doesn't have electric rear windows, it will probably be for the rear door switch isolator, to stop kids getting strangled in the closing window.
Have a look at the numbers on the wires concerned and see if you can identify them on the diagram in the Haynes, or post the numbers and we will try and identify them.
Dave
p.s it helps to post the full model designation, LX, SX, etc.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

From what you said it sounds like the switch to isolate the electric rear windows.
If you have them the lights on the switches will go out when the button is depressed.
If you don't have them then they probably just left the wiring in to keep things simple.
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

Thanks for the info. It is an LX version Xantia without electric rear windows so the wires are of no use to me. Still it was worth asking.
Richard
akojic
My Cars:

Post by akojic »

I assume all LX versions are without electric rear widows! What about sun roof or electric side mirrors?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I think the wiring is there because electric rear windows were an option on LX, they are a doddle to fit, all you need are the motors, door switches, console switches, dash switch and inhibitor relay which all just plug straight in.
I fitted them to my LX a while ago, they were from a 2.1 estate, stuffed a pair of tweeters over the manual winder apperture to cover it up and it doesn't look bad, plus you get a bit more trebble in the back[:)]
Dave