Xantia Pressure Regulator

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

allanbrew

Xantia Pressure Regulator

Post by allanbrew »

Had a problem with my old regulator, leaking fluid, so I replaced it with one from a scrap dealer. The replacement unit was the same except the connection from the pump was a different thread (on the regulator). They had sent a chopped pipe with the reg so I swapped the connectors and fitted the regulator. Everything works, no leaks, but now I have a problem with the brakes shuddering under heavy braking and the car sinks, just a little, when parked. The other difference is that there is no clicking from this unit compared to my old regulator.

Any Ideas ?

1994 1.9D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi and welcome Allan,

Regulators are basically the same (except for the pump union) across the range and ages and the only really different one was the one fitted to early "Sinker" Xantias which had an additional regulated outlet for the FDV and power steering. I take it your car, although early, is an antisink. These sinker regulators are not interchangeable with the later type.

The fact the new regulator is not ticking is bad. Either the regulator is no regulating at all and allowing pressure to build really high or it is leaking internally and not building enough pressure. Either way the brakes will suffer.

I assume you're using the accumulator sphere that came off the old regulator and that the fault you have was not apparent before.. If the new regulator came with a sphere then it's almost likely to be duff and possibly ruptured and that would cause the symptoms too.

You say the pump union was different. Did you replace the complete pipe or join it? It's a hard pipe to join and if you did, you may have constricted the bore so badly that insufficient fluid can flow to properly build pressure. Joining this pipe is at best a temporary job as it is under a lot of stress and likely to catastrophically fail at some point.

It is vital that you can hear the regulator ticking. I've seen a photo of a regulator that ceased to tick and caused the accumulator sphere to explode through excess pressure...

Rather than use an unknown one from a scrappy, it would have been best to have had Pleiades rebuild your leaky one. They can also make you up a correct pipe as well..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
allanbrew

Post by allanbrew »

Thanks Jim,

Yes antisink and the replacement reg came with a sphere so I fitted the complete unit. I take your point about joining the pipe but professionally done with a sleeve and welded. Is it possibly a problem with the sphere causing the reg not to 'tick'. I could try fitting my original one. Will send my reg. to Pleides for re-con. Any idea of cost ?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'd certainly swap spheres first-off Allan. It's amazing just how may accumulators are found flat and ruptured in scrapyards. Most Xantias are in a pretty poor condition when they make their last journey and accumulators for some reason, are often overlooked for replacement.

If the pipe has been sleeved and welded it should be OK then.

Not sure how much Pleiades charges now. Best call him. Not only will he fix the leak but he'll also recalibrate it
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...