Heater problem.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gingerposer
My Cars:

Heater problem.

Post by Gingerposer »

Looking for some advice folks. Noticed when driving home after work that I'm not getting much heat from the heater. Was fine this morning. Engine is up to normal temp, cooling fans turner as normal. The blower is working fine, I'm just not getting the expected he
Where do I proceed from here?

Updated: now getting some heat. Temp control slider appears temperamental. Slides as normal, but I can hear a sound like a small electric motor struggling a bit. Would this be the mixer motor and if so how can I try to get it working normally again?

Further update: Very low coolant level, signs of seepage beneath the radiator and steam coming from somewhere, not under much pressure, more sort of wafts if you see what I mean.
In the meantime I have topped up the fluid, what is the forum's recommendation for a leak-stop solution (short of replacing the radiator)?

Cheers folks

Ainslie
Gingerposer
My Cars:

Post by Gingerposer »

Ok I guess that my edits haven't brought this post back to the top of the board as I thought they might.
Any suggestions as to how I can avoid replacing the radiator? Is there some decent leak-stop additive?
Also, what about replacing the coolant - as it was very low and I have topped it up with loads of water, what kind of coolant is best for the Xantia
(1.8 16v engine, 2000 year) and what concentration?

Cheers folks.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

You may have an air lock in the heater matrix, although with a leakage, you are likely to continue to draw air in.

Carefully re-bleed the coolant system.

Regarding antifreeze concentration, I've always used four litres (neat) antifreeze for the XU engines (petrol and diesel) not had any complaints. :) , I think that works out at about 45% (average) mix.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Forte leak Stop is good stuff but if your rad is leaking like that then best to replace it before it really lets go...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gingerposer
My Cars:

Post by Gingerposer »

Didn't get hold of Forte stuff, the local factor recommended K-Seal as a good option so I have used that. Seems ok so far but will definitely look at replacing the rad soon as possible.
Cheers for the advice peeps!

Ainslie
Gingerposer
My Cars:

Post by Gingerposer »

Oh joy, shortly after the last post, my alarm started going off. Have had to lock the car with the key to disable the alarm. I am hoping this is just due to moisture in the wiring near the base of the rad, or is there somewhere else I should be looking?